Dolomite exhaust mount-an alterantive.

standardthread

I wasn’t happy with the heavy twin silencer circuitous nature of the exhaust on my Dolomite so I decided to revert to the system that was used as first built on the marque, and common with a lot of other Triumphs and Standards, a straight through single silencer system. Amongst other things this needed an additional exhaust mount, in my case, under the rear off-side passenger seat.

It is easier to create a flat piece of metal from a curved strip than it is to create a round section, especially of small diameter. When I first altered the exhaust I was reasonably successful in making a couple of curved brackets out of flat sheet to match the curves in the rubber mounts, but I was never totally happy with the result.

I had to order some new bushes, and, looking at them over a cup of coffee I realised that the slots in the rubbers perfectly matched the curve of metal electrical conduit.

Conclusion. I split a length of conduit along its length, created a lip on one end and flattened the other end and drilled a bolt hole in it.

Result. Two very strong rigid mounts that can be tailored to other locations, with little effort making them.

• Like 1