Weldathon respray

Anumator

Hi everyone , its been a while since I've posted  -  been busy  welding , cutting  and repainting.  Here's the story , I bought this red 1970 Herald 13/60 in 2005 because I needed a cheap second car, it had an MOT and the insurance was very cheap. I drove it around for 7 years then in 2012 decided to take it apart to do a full restoration - should take a year or two ( so I thought! ). Eleven years later after new outriggers all round , floorpans , spare wheel well , door skin , rear wheel arches  and nearly every panel repaired and much de rusting and welding    -  and fitting a 1500 Spitfire engine  , I have finally  given it a respray  , ready to be put back together. Hoping to have it on the road by next summer.

New outriggers01.JPG

Floorpanrepair.jpg

LHDinner.jpg

IMG_20221202_111942.jpg

IMG_20230915_154132.jpg

bodyUcoat.jpg

RHdoortopcoat.jpg

Finalcoatred.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shepsy , I used a non isocyanate single stage 2k paint  from Jawel paints , its very easy to spray and come out super shiny . although it takes a long time to harden properly, its touch dry within a few hours but stays plastic for  about a month then hardens up over the next few months!

5 hours ago, Anumator said:

Hi Shepsy , I used a non isocyanate single stage 2k paint  from Jawel paints , its very easy to spray and come out super shiny . although it takes a long time to harden properly, its touch dry within a few hours but stays plastic for  about a month then hardens up over the next few months!

I’ll check it out now!

• 2 weeks later...

Started fitting the front valence this week, trying to get the gaps as close as I can , had trouble with the brackets being too flimsy so I reinforced them with a piece of steel bar - much stronger now. Also did  a test fit of the front grille resprayed it gun metal grey to see how it would look!

Valencefit.jpg

Bracketbraced.jpg

Valencefit01.jpg

• Like 1

On 21/10/2023 at 18:13, Anumator said:

I used a non isocyanate single stage 2k paint  from Jawel paints

That's interesting. Sprayed several cars over the years and always used cellulose. My Vitesse I sprayed a few years ago took a year before you couldn't leave a fingernail mark in the paint, a nightmare really, especially after all the restoration and new panels up to that point. I don't think cellulose is the same chemical mix as it used to be.  My Dad was a paint sprayer, using cellulose through the 60's and 70,s until it all went 2k and never used cellulose again. I would help him as a boy, and he would spray the car in cellulose one day unmask the following, and then leave it out in the open with no issues. 

The other problem I have found with cellulose is that it shrinks, and can develops hairline cracks along seams. 

I'll have to look into the non Iso paints, got a spitfire to paint at some point and don't want the nightmare I had with the Vitesse.