Things learnt from experience

Just been thinking what I’ve learnt over the years driving old cars on long trips/Rbrr’s. 

I always carry at least one spare wiper since my mk3 cortina wiper flew off in pouring rain on m1 heading to Bradford. 
This year my pal Nick lost a wiper after a bird strike at John o groats fortunately he had a spare. 
When Gwaredd and I did our first rbrr my distributor kept moving as the bolt securing it was shot. Shedtune rescued us and from then on I’ve always carried an assortment of various bolts ,nuts and washers. 
This year I had to dig into the box a couple of times for others after they had issues. 
Fuses I always carry a vast array of fuses…. Lesson learnt after a friend kept popping fuses on a previous rbrr. 
Instant gasket, again first rbrr thermostat housing kept leaking. Ellis helped me out that time and this time we used it to adapt a leaky silicone rocker gasket that appeared to have stretched. Gwaredd cut a bit out and sealed it up with sealer. 
I carry a spare distributor, I had a power spark unit fail at lands end suddenly on the rbrr in 2016 after a faultless run that far. It just wouldn’t restart , fortunately I’d packed my old one and we stuck that on and were away again. 
I have a 123 now but as has been found they are not faultless so still carry a spare. 
I always carry a spare cap and rotor arm for rbrr…. Kindly loaned by a friend this year as ran out of time to order one. 

I’m sure there’s more, anyone else? 
Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

Good advice, good first aid kit!

If you lose a wiper, it's like losing wheel nuts - you have another twelve on the other wheels and they will be OK for a while on three each!

You will have another wiper, and the arm.  Your passenger can peer through the rain for a while!    And, that Halfords have a massive stock of wiper blades, can be open all day, over the weekend, and your mobile can show you the nearest one!

John