Going to Edinburgh

ferny

So, I appear to have booked a flight to Edinburgh last night and today worked out what to do about having a bed to sleep in. 🤣

I'll be there 12th-15th December and staying in the centre. Obvious choices of stuff to do are the Castle, Arthur's, ghosts tour and I hear there's a Christmas Market...

I'm putting this over to y'all for suggestions on what to do on this highly organised and not at all last minute trip idea.

There are all of the touristy bits of course and you will end up walking about more than you imagined so take some comfortable shoes and waterproofs/umbrellas - weather is often unpredictable.  

Just off the busy tourist trail it is worth having a walk around the New Town (fabulous Georgian streets and houses) and if you are a NT member the restored house in Charlotte Square is very interesting.  Calton Hill is good for views of the city and estuary.

You will probably end up on the Royal mile at some point but walk to the end and have a look at Holyrood Palace and the Scottish Parliament building.

For food I can recommend Cafe Marlayne on Thistle Street which is lovely French bistro very popular with the locals and much better value than the main tourist areas.  Great for lunch and serves fantastic coffee.

You said you had booked accommodation but have a look at the Royal Scot's Club.   It is a private club and hotel owned by the Army but recently opened to the public.  We booked there last time and really enjoyed our stay.

Just a few  other  ideas on the fringe of the busy areas - you won't be bored !