Spitfire 1500 - Replacing aluminium windscreen capping.

Kevin R

I want to replace the aluminium windscreen capping that is riveted to the top of the windscreen so would be very grateful if anyone could give any advice on removal and refitting.

I had planned to drill out the old rivets but I do not know if there is a seal underneath or whether it is also 'glued' to prevent water ingress.   If glued is it very easy to remove once the rivets are drilled out ?   I am not sure if silicone sealants were freely available and used when the original was fitted.

Any advice would be very helpful.   Thank you in advance.

There is some non setting sealant in there, which has probably gone rather hard after 50 years. 

So drill the rivets out, and then tease the capping off. I would clean off the old sealant, and use something like a gutter sealant or similar. Silicone sealants will make it VERY hard to ever remove it again. 

The original stuff was probably sealastic or dumdum

• Like 1

The last two times I took it off there was a thin i.e. 3-5 mm foam strip on the leading and trailing edge with a mild adhesive on the cap side.

As it was on there twice I presumed it was original but perhaps not....?

Advantage would be making future removal easy. Not 100% sure how water tight it would be...

• Like 1