Herald 1360 Drivers door window glass jammed window fallen to lowest point

MJE

The drivers widow glass is jammed at it's lowest point I have a Haynes manual but it is not that much help as if I try to move the widow up the glass pops out of the front channel and jams on the leg of the winder mechanism - also due to position I seem unable to get at the bottom channel.        Can anyone advise how to remove the glass and if possible give some easy instructions of what I should be looking for with regard discovering the cause of this happening ( might be the poor fitting door and all the slamming ?)   Matt

First thing is to remove the doorcard so you can see the issue. 

Often the glass channel has rotted away, or the mechanism has popped out. 

For a proper manual, try https://vitessesteve.co.uk/Servicemanuals

Any herald or vitesse manual will do, the window mechanisms are all the same.

Canleys have a parts diagram which may be of help https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-herald-13/60&diagram=triumph-herald-13/60-door-assembly

referring to the canley diagram, No31 is the door glass channel. That is the bit that can rot, but if yours is good, it isn't the issue. The glass can lift out of the channel too, originally it was pressed fit into the channel with some rubber gasket to grip it, but often replaced with sealant/adhesive.

Next are 2 "prongs" of the mechanism that fit into that channels slots. These are retained in the slots and a leather washer and a spring clip (38 and 39) which you can't see as they are between the channel and the doorskin. If either of the prongs can be pulled out from the channel, that is your issue. 

If you want to remove the doorglass (the channel stays on) yu need to remove the rubber weatherstrop from the door, undo the 2 spring clips and washers (38/39) then you will be able to remove the door glass. Study a pic of those clips so you know what you are "feeling for" and how to undo them.

Unfortunately not very clear but this is from one of the manuals Clive mentions. Theres some access holes through the door inner to get to various fixing screws so you can release the channels. I would start with the back one which has two but is also strengthened by that cross wire at the bottom and try to engage the glass correctly...

image.thumb.png.4f214ca28bd44cedbaf38b3bc19322f4.png

my first attempt has completely failed -reason the door glass channel is at the bottom of the door and I cannot access the lugs - the glass is jammed hard against the left leg of the operating mechanism I will try soaking the bottom door channel to see if it frees the glass a little - any other bits of wisdom guys?