Steering wheel nut

Once you remove the nut, best to use a two or three legged puller. The boss will be initially very tight on the spline. Learnt my lesson 40 years ago removing a steering wheel from a Vitesse. Hands at quarter to three, a few hard yanks, it suddenly came off and cracked me across the bridge of my nose. Makes your eyes water.

10 hours ago, MarkB said:

Once you remove the nut, best to use a two or three legged puller. The boss will be initially very tight on the spline. Learnt my lesson 40 years ago removing a steering wheel from a Vitesse. Hands at quarter to three, a few hard yanks, it suddenly came off and cracked me across the bridge of my nose. Makes your eyes water.

Simpler solution if you don't have a puller is to leave the nut on the column, but only a few turns so it is level with the top of the column. Then  hammer in one hand, use a knee and other hand to pull the wheel towards you. Then a wack on the column and the wheel releases. Undo nut, all done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clive said:

Simpler solution if you don't have a puller is to leave the nut on the column, but only a few turns so it is level with the top of the column. Then  hammer in one hand, use a knee and other hand to pull the wheel towards you. Then a wack on the column and the wheel releases. Undo nut, all done.

Wish I had thought of that 40 years ago! Impatience of youth.

• Haha 1