GigGleR

The rolling restoration of Teresa moves on a pace. My current task is to remove the trunnions, clean them and refill them with oil instead of grease at the suggestion of a triumph expert. We've already done this to Vicky the Vitesse and have noticed an improvement in the steering. The thing is as we were taking the hubs off to get at the trunnions we noticed, horror of horrors!, that there is some play in the trunnions. However, they appear to be fairly new parts and so we were wondering if, like the old Vauxhall Vivas, they were designed with some play in them?

Any ideas? ??)

Someone else will tell you whether there should be any play ... i can't remember (although i wouldn't have thought they should), but it's worth checking them over. Grease compacts in the trunnions and that's why you should use oil. If they have grease in then they can wear pretty badly. If you do need to replace them completely I would make sure you buy good ones from a supplier who sells a lot. One supplier told me to steer (excuse the pun) clear of QH ones as he'd experience of them being attrocious and worse than worn ones (due to old worn castings probably)

Good luck anyway

hmmm, okay, just looking at how to get the trunnions out, looks like I have to split the lower wishbone assembly, which seems a bit of a long way round. Especially considering that, on the Vitesse, you camn just unbolt them and lift them out. Ah well....... :P

Better than when they try to make their own way out though, I suppose!  ;)

Have you got a manual yet? That should help ... remember to disconnect the battery before starting any work, though  ;D ;D ;D

PS - EP90 is fine for trunnion oil (rather than engine oil)

Archived