Hi All .

Molly the Dolly (1981 1500HL Auto). Is almost ready.!! I have been told by my co drivers to lay her up until the RBRR to prevent any further things going awry! She has had a new set set off spotlights for dark scottish roads and I have also fitted the Sprint spoiler and front bumper I recently picked up at Stoneleigh.

Recently the performance has improved dramatically! bit weird as it all started with the manifold to exhaust gasket blowing on the way home from Stoneleigh. I thought that the strange clicking noise was the Manifold to engine gasket as it was a similar din that accompanied the engine tone after I replaced the engine last summer only to find that I had foolishly trapped a tab from the heater hose bracket betwix gasket and engine instead of on the stud...

Moordales solved that one so I dutifully booked it in as I defy anyone without full workshop facilities who isnt a double jointed midget to get the proper purchase on that bottom front stud nut in order to tighten it up properly. On arrival it was immediately obvious to the learned Ones (I am not worthy) that it was the downpipe that had failed. I can't deny that the thought of one hours labour v three or four was quite a relief but as usual the triumph curse struck again . I had taken some pains to seal the gasket on refiting the engine and when Dale had it to repair the other one he did not break the seal but simply removed the pipe at the first joint.

On this visit it was soon discovered that the face of the manifold to exhaust joint is badly eroded and will need some building up or gentle filing down if it is ever to achieve a proper seal again. Being cast iron this will entail removing the damn thing from the car (so much for the labour saving). I will of course attempt to repair it myself on the car as my labour rates are excellent I think I may have a spare manifold somewhere which may be a better bet..

A recent visit to an auto gearbox repair shop owning friend of mine revealed that the throttle was barely making 3/4 opening and he advised me to get this sorted before setting up the autobox as best resluts were likely to ensue so whilst it was with Dale he tweaked the throttle linkages a wee bit .

A week later on a crawl into central london where I work and occasionally take the car I noticed that the throttle was sticking as the car got hot. Heavy traffic caused the needle to rise above its customary 1/4 scalding heater mode and the revs got higher and higher eventually reaching a constant 3000 revs and spinning the wheels with every down change and thumping hard on the up change. I struggled into work and let her cool down. The journey home was a little better but I avioded all jams and went for the M25 route. (It was 11PM)

I backed off the throttles to allow for heat build up and hey presto the old girl can now pull the skin off a custard without straining. Kick down is instant and it ticks over at 700 revs. I might stand a chance of keeping up with the 1200 heralds now.

Enough waffling see you...

Darren

Archived