4 speed o/d vs five speed gearbox

Doig

I'm looking to upgrade my fourspeed box. If I fit an o/d box what should I look for in order to avoid buying a dud.

Also is it possible to fit a 5 speed from a Rover SD1 2600 or is the transmission tunnel to small or some other problem.

Thanks Philip,

I'm guessing that if I get a 2600 gearbox I won't need any adaptor plates (as they're the same engine) is this the case. I'm sure I'll have a few problems but its a long term project so there's no hurry.

P.S I see from some of your other posts you're from NZ too.

hi doig, it depends on the bellhousing supplied with the box.  not all are the same as the triumph pattern.  i think, only think, that if the box was originally designed for a TR then it will fit a trump 6 motor.  i'm having one rebuilt at the moment, as i'm told the trump box won't take the torque of a tuned 2500/2700, but not sure if that is really true, but the box came along cheap so it seemed worthwhile.  you will find however that you'll have to have the spigot shaft turned down as the rover shaft is too thick to fit in the std trump spigot bush.  i have to say that i can't profess to be any sort of expert on the rover box but if you're lucky someone else will provide some info for you.  incidentally, where in nz are you?  rgds, phil.

Thanks for the info Phil, I'm by no means a gearbox expert myself so any info is appreciated. I'm just running by 2500TC as standard so the five speeder's being considered as I think it sounds more reliable than an o/drive. Although that said I've always found 4 speeders more enjoyable to use.

I'm in Christchurch by the way.

you're in the right city for old cars doig, all the best cars come from the south island.  i've personally bought 3 from there, incl both my present trumps.  i'm in auckland, that impersonal sh*tehole in the north, but life's like that.  anyway, if you're running a std 2500tc and you're not going to do any nasty racing i wouldn't personally go away from the trump o/d box.  that o/d is lovely on the open road and if you come across a hill the car doesn't like in 4th, which is not common with the 2500s, o/d 3rd is just superb.  you might consider posting a pic or 2 of your machine maybe?  regards, phil.

Yeah I think I've settled on the o'drive now. This will put the TC back to as new specification and besides that switch on the gearstick looks really cool. I'll try to find one as soon as poss and then put it on the backburner for a while. I've got my hands full at the moment I've got all the dash out wood and vinyl and having a bit of cosmetic work done inside, in a few weeks when all the bits and pieces come back she should look pretty flash. Did a bit of a wash and wax yesterday the roof, bonnet and boot all looked a bit tired but with three coats of wax (just regular wax and elbow grease, I don't trust cut polishes) they regained a lot of colour. A friend of mine has a digital camera so I might get some pics soonish, though its exactly the same colour and model as a post from Australia a few pages back in the forum.

Thanks for your help, Doig

ps I lived in Auckland for a year not long ago so I understand

Archived