Early Herald steering rack problems

herald948

Is it possible (and, if so, how easy) to adapt the later style of steering rack to the "early" chassis, given the difference in the way the two mount? If that is NOT practical, is the only real option to get a reconditioned unit from Rimmer Bros, as Canley Classics does not list such an item as available? This question involves a LHS 1960 Herald here in the US, and I would like to pass along the best possible information, said owner being relatively sure the rack needs to be replaced. Thank you for any and all input!

Given the poor quality of many reconditioned racks, I rebuild my own. While Canley may not do the specific rack, they have historically carried the parts to rebuild them.

There is a caveat though; until early 1960, there was an entirely different rack design, identifiable by both ends having matching (small) gaiters. I don't know how much internally is common between these and the later Mk1 design,

Cheers,
Bill.