Steering column bushes/bearings

anthropoidape

Shipwright's disease has set in... the exercise of painting the sides of the engine bay has extended to removing the steering column.

It was in the way of the painting  and there was a bit of slop in it anyway. Not a lot, just a little, but enough to be a tiny bit irritating. The slop is not in the universal joints or anything; it doesn't have play rotationally, but rather the shaft is able to move a little bit up/down and left/right inside the bearings. Is a little bit of play of this sort normal or should the bearings be holding the steering shaft very firmly and allowing ONLY rotation and no other play?

It seems to me that it ends up feeling like play in the steering in a rotational sense, even though all the universal joints are actually very good... if that makes any sense at all.

Is it hard to upgrade all the bearings? Anyone done it?

Edit: does anyone have specifications for the bushes and bearings? I haven't got the old bushes out yet but I am thinking they may well be too far gone to even tell exactly what size they should be.

Jason

If you haven't started to dismantle it, then DON'T!  :o

I had to rebuild mine because the top bearings failed. It turned into a 3 month task, with finding some parts no longer available and some new replacement parts of poorer quality than the old.  :-/
You cannot buy refurbished columns - and the afore-mentioned reasons are probably the reason why. ::)

Having said all that, if you have started it and run into problems - let me know and I'll advise you all I can. :)

I ended up buying 3 columns and a N.O.S. inner. The cost was 'expensive' but the steering has never been this good.  ;D

MIne failed its MOT on that and the guy just tapped the top star washer back on tight with a hammer and screwdriver. It lated for a while then worked loose again, but Tony Hart does a locking top clip that should fix this problem. I have now fitted one, but it's not as tight as it could be, so I'm thinking of taking it off again and grinding the inner diametre out a bit (was tight on the column and may not have been able to be slid down quite far enough.

Have a look here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-Stag-NEW-uprated-steering-column-top-clamp-ring_W0QQitemZ220118436292QQihZ012QQcategoryZ27383QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Hi Volospian,

That's interesting... I bought the same device and had the smae problem.  :-/
Perhaps there is a problem with the current batch?

Did you remove the star washer? I removed mine and in doing so, destroyed it. The column ring is supposed to replace the star washer, but no matter how hard I tried to tighten it, it didn't seem to hold it tight enough.  ??)

Rimmer Bros do sell a replacement washer. I've read varying reports about these, but as I was desparate, I bought 4 (well you can never be sure can you?).  ;)

I then took it to Robsport, who used a press to push fit the whole assembly together. Applying the pressure to the star washer 'equally' and in one press, seems to work. I've not had any slack movement since!  ;D

Hope this helps!

Haha... I haven't started rebuilding it, I simply have it on the work bench still in one piece.

I was in fact assuming that some standard size bearings from somewhere would do the trick, but maybe I will take your advice and just leave it intact. I did notice that the Rimmer Bros website lists the bearings as "not available". I guess if there were a generic replacement they would stock it.

A good excuse not to do the job! Thanks :)

Jason

Archived