Wiring coil and distributor

jamiefield154

Hi guys,

Wondering if someone could help me. I have a GT6 fitted with a 2.5 PI and the other day I was checking all the spark plugs to see if any of them were oily. Whilst I was putting them back, I noticed that there was a loose cable from the rim of the distributor that came off the coil. Do I fit this to the + or the -? I assumed it went on the + as the car is negative earth, so I put it on the + and tried to start the car. It wouldn't turn over and then smoke started coming out from under the distributor cap. The terminal lead in the distributor (wrapped in fabric) was singed and snapped in half. As this is connected to the loose wired I attached the the + of the coil, I'm wondering if I did something wrong. TRGB have sent me a new terminal bush and lead which I'm going to fit tonight, but I don't want it to blow again if I've wired the coil wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated....this is my first classic so the simple the advice the better!

Thanks
Jamie

Hello jamie,

if I understand you, this cable links the coil to the distributor and by connecting it to the + ve you are shorting out the ignition feed. It should go on the - ve on a negative earth car.
The distributor earths the coil when the points close so it's live to the + ve of the coil and distributor to the - ve.

Alec

Archived