GarethP

As the indicators on our Herald 13/60 do not seem to cancel all the time (due to the aftermarket steering wheel I think) and the indicator warning light on the dashboard is remarkably dim and does not show up when in sunlight, I was thinking of adding a small piezo-electric buzzer that would buzz in sync with the indicator lamp on the dash.

Is this a good idea?  Would the simplest solution be to just wire it in series or parallel with the warning lamp?

Any other ideas?

Should work in either series or parallel, but obviously won't do nowt wired in series if your bulb goes. When I was in the Ministry of Defence, our works vans had buzzers on the indicator circuit. It's so bloody annoying that we always wanted to disconnect them, especially when you're sitting at a junction for a while waiting for a gap in rush hour traffic. Possibly you could fit a switch to bypass it at night or on cloudy days. 

Cancelling problems are often a function of mis-mathced components. There is a semi-circular clip arond the inner column, which makes contact with lugs on the indicator switch, thus cancelling. Some cars have a clip with 2 cancelling humps on it, this mates with a single lug indicator switch. Other cars have a single hump clip with a 2 lug switch. I'm uncertain of the change points offhand but I could check my research notes if anyone is concerned - most important consideration is to make sure both components are copmpatible.
Of course the other classic failure mode is where the inner column has been turned out of phase, so the clip no longer sits in the same relative position as it should. This makes cancelling a somewhat random affair. Easily fixed at zero cost, though you will curse the lower column joint bolts!
Cheers,
Bill Davies.

Archived