I have a 74 Tr6 and the brakes seem inconsistent.  Sometimes I have a lot of pedal and then there are times I need to pump them to get them to work.  I bleed the brakes and there are no visible leaks.  Anyone have these problems?

Does it keep fluid? If the master cylinder seals start to fail they can allow fluid to get past them but if that is happening it has to go somewhere - usually down the pedal and into the cockpit! There are other areas to look at - what are your flexible brake hoses like? These can flex a little too much sometimes! Replacing with braided stainless hoses is usually a good move and will improve the pedal feel. A full brake fluid change can also help, not just a bleed but a full flush - old glycol fluid can absorb a lot of water which will affect it's function. Silicon fluid is a good alternative but it has a lower boiling point so if you drive v hard you may not want that drawback.
Before you buy any hoses or Silicon check the prices at Canley Classics - I bought a full set of hoses and fluid for my Herald for less than Rimmers sell just the hoses. This improved the pedal feel no end. I mention Canleys as I understand they are going to the TR shows now (well at least the National)

I don't loose any fluid and its funny that I will have alot of pedal then after stopping if I use the brakes within 10 seconds then I have to pump them.  The front brake lines are new and I need to change the backs but they are not leaking.

If you're not losing fluid then you may have a problem with the rear hoses - when they get old they can "bulge" with the pressure. Having said that, it wouldn't cause an intermittant fault, it would happen every time you put your foot on the pedal.
I'm no expert on 6 brakes - there's no front/rear compensator or anything daft like that in the system is there?
If all caliper seals are fine, front flexi hoses OK then look at the rears - change your flexi hoses and check rear cylinders then if all that checks out it's time to try a full brake fluid change and a seal kit in the master cylinder

It's Fixed!!!  I was skeptical that it would be the master since once the pedal pumped up it didn't bleed down.  But I changed the master and it works fantastic.  Thanks for all the help.  This is my first TR6 and I am learning a lot.  Now I can finally drive my car.

Archived