Phoenix

Having recently acquired a lovely 13/60 Herald convertable, which has stood standing for 10 years. I’ve discovered that the front brake callipers are seized :'(
hardly surprising. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this?  or is it a case of throwing away and starting again. :'(

it is possible to rebuild them.

try to get the piston to move by removing the pads first by pumping the pedal. if you get no joy that way using a G clamp push the piston release clamp try pushing the pedal again it may take 3/4 times to move piston.
normally after 10 years they would just need lubrcating and cleaning. but in more extreme case's i've seen/done they need a rebuild new seals and piston but thats a job best left to someone who knows.

but if you feel you could do it . you need to push out the pistons if there seized in soak with WD40 or diesel for a couple of hours.
then remove pistons sometime compressed air will shift them but i have been know to use a grease gun to pump the out then you need to clean every thing spotlessly clean. remove old seals. clean all the groves they fit in,
smear the new seals with brake fluid they are a bit fiddly to get in.
then take the new pistons smear with brake fluid slide the in square.
replace the dust seals attach to brake pipe put a blck of wood between pistons that is big enough to stop the piston from comming right out. bleed the caliper them pump pedal so the piston moves out the push it back in both pistons repeat this a couple of time to see every thing is ok.

Archived