Electrical Fault?

timraven

I've recently had a slight problem with my Spit. On saturday night I was driving down the A38 and whenever I used an indicator the radio blipped off for half a second. When I put my spotlights and main beam on it tried to jump out of overdrive!

I did think it would be dodgy battery connections, so cleaned them all up and vaselined them, as well as the earth behind the battery and the starter solenoid. The car was fine today until it got warm, then it started giving the same problems.

I've checked the battery- 12.8V off and 14.1V with the engine running. I've also cleaned up some white-blue substance coming off an auxiliary fusebox onto the bulkhead, could this be grounding circuits? I haven't taken it on a run yet, but the car seemed fine afterwards, but I don't know if it was because it had cooled down a bit? Anyone had anything like this before?

Cheers
Tim

have a good look around the fuses.
they get a dodgy contact on em,  clean off the crap on the brass, and fuse, lube,and replce.
may even tell you which one it is by  giving eack one a waggle, this will some times show up a fault.
as when ye  waggle em,  then things will go on / off, follow.!!
go and doo some  wagglelating, ;) ;)

M

2133 wrote:
I've recently had a slight problem with my Spit. On saturday night I was driving down the A38 and whenever I used an indicator the radio blipped off for half a second. When I put my spotlights and main beam on it tried to jump out of overdrive!

I did think it would be dodgy battery connections, so cleaned them all up and vaselined them, as well as the earth behind the battery and the starter solenoid. The car was fine today until it got warm, then it started giving the same problems.

I've checked the battery- 12.8V off and 14.1V with the engine running. I've also cleaned up some white-blue substance coming off an auxiliary fusebox onto the bulkhead, could this be grounding circuits? I haven't taken it on a run yet, but the car seemed fine afterwards, but I don't know if it was because it had cooled down a bit? Anyone had anything like this before?

Cheers
Tim

You got any other relays anywhere?(iknow about horn and o/d )

2133 wrote:

What should I be looking for?

You should be looking for a loose/corroded connection somewhere in the circuit that feeds the components.
The symptoms you describe shows that the voltage feed to both the radio and overdrive is marginal.  As soon as you turn on another high(ish)-current device, the resulting voltage dip is sufficient to cause the OD solenoid to drop out and the radio to misbehave.

A loose or corroded connection acts like a resistor in the circuit.  The more load you put on the circuit, the higher the current and, consequently, the greater the voltage drop across the resistance (Volts = Current x Resistance).

Start at the fuse box on the bulkhead.  Disconnect the battery, then remove each fuse and thoroughly clean the fuse end-caps and the clips that hold the fuses in place.  I would use a pice of fine enery paper wrapped around the blade of a screwdriver for this.  When everything is really clean and shiny, replace the fuses.  If any of them feel loose, bend the clips in to get a firmer hold on the fuse.

Reconnect the battery and try the electrics again.  If the fault persists, trace each circuit with the aid of a wiring diagram and clean and reconnect any connectors you find on the way.  

Hope this helps

bodders1

Cheers for that Bodders, I did have a poke around the fusebox (modern bladed one) the other day and it seemed all fine. Driving home from Uni today I got the same problems again, albeit a bit worse, I turned everything off down a side road and suddenly put on the lights, main beams and spotlights- this caused an odd sound from the battery area. I swapped the battery when I got home, and I haven't had any problems on the first test drive, so fingers crossed!

Hopefully it's just a duff battery, thanks for all the responses people ;)

2133 wrote:
Of course it will be at Stoneleigh! The new battery has fixed the problem :)

Aaron, would your electrical problems be you smashing the alternator off with the bonnet stay by any chance? :P

I'm sorry, what?! The alternator mashed itself, and the bonnet stay was fine until I tried to 'fix' it because I listened to the people on here!

Argh, where's the grinder...?!  ;D

Archived