Triumph vitesse front springs

Joe c

I think you are in the wrong section but it'll probably be moved somewhere more appropriate.

There's a whole thread on front springs and damper here
http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/7064-front-springs-dampers/

However, the information you asked for is in post #10 with free length of 12.5" and compressed length of 8".  We measured the rate at 216 lb/ft (using somewhat bush methods) which is about right for the OE spring.

Nick

Thread moved.

+ for those too lazy to click the link:

Quoted Text
Drives ok.  Less crashy than it was, offset by more roll in the corners.  Would like it a little lower, but other than that I could live with it.

Some figures:

Original soft springs now fitted.  Rate measured as above and confirmed at 220 lb/in

Free length is 12.5", fitted length is 8".  So the load on the spring at this point must be 4.5 x 220 = 990lb.

Applying these numbers to the progressive rate springs

Free length is 8.75", fitted length was 6.5", so they compressed 2.25".  990/2.5 = 440 lb/in.  As the springs are marked "350/530" I guess I have to consider this as an "average", but to my mind it demonstrates that the springs are not correct for the 6 cylinder cars and the 350 rated section is maxed out (and then some) even at rest.  Suspect that these springs are for a 4 cylinder car.

Thinking ahead to what I might do next, if I want avoid any mods to the dampers and to avoid spacers, I'm limited to something like a 10" free length - anything less will have the springs loose/falling out at full droop.

Based on the 990lb loading figure (which hopefully is somewhere in the ballpark) and aiming for a fitted length of 7.75" - 7.5" The Faulker Springs 350 lb, 10.5" items should  give a compressed length of 7.67".  Might well work.......

Haven't given up the adjustable spring seats idea yet though - just needed to have non-leaking dampers on the car for MoT on Thursday!

Nick