Lister

As for my front brakes you know the answer already   ;)

The hubs and uprights on a TR8 are the same as an ordinary '7. So putting on TR8 brakes should be no problem. But there are loads of conversions available. For a "nomal" TR7 the S&S conversion with Ate calipers (Ford) and vented Capri discs should be more then adequate.
Than there is the Volvo caliper, the Princess caliper, and loads of aftermarket supliers like HiSpec, Wilwood etc.
The choice is yours  ;D

A standard Princess caliper can accomodate a solid disc with a thickness off about 13-14 mm. But lot's of the conversions work with "spacers" between the two halves off the caliper to accomodate wider (vented) discs. Rimmers do/did (?) different brake upgrades based on this caliper. Avoid their solid discs if possible. I warped 2 sets off these in no time at all.

I think best thing to do is mount the calipers on the front struts. This way you can measure the distance between heartline off the caliper and the mounting plane at the back of the hub. You'll probably need a pair off spacers to get the discs mounted.

By mounting the caliper on the struts you'll also be able to measure the diameter that fits inside the caliper. Keep the outside off the disc at least 25mm
from the inside of the wheelrims.

Oh I forgot, if they are genuine Princess calipers the bolt holes won't align with the mounting lugs on the front struts of a TR7. They'll need to be welded up and redrilled, or has this been done already.

b.t.w some piccies of the calipers would make life much easier  ;)

i have already got some piccies on the following thread.
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/blah/Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1123427237,s=all
sorry forgot id done this already.
would like to put vented on if possible but they dont have spacers in already.

As you have the pads in already it's easy to measure the width of the disc you can accomodate. For a vented disc you'll need at least ±20 mm. So you'll have to machine some spacers for the calipers and the discs. The piccies of "teryjm1" discs give a good idea about the spacers you need for the discs.

As for the calipers. I don't see any changes to the mounting holes. Do they fit straight onto the TR7 front struts?

not got to that stage yet as all the front subframe needs attention all out and referb.

so just looking to source the stuff and get some info as well.

so trying to get the engine done first and then the front sub can come out and be done

Al

Quoted from beans ...Oh I forgot, if they are genuine Princess calipers the bolt holes won't align with the mounting lugs on the front struts of a TR7. They'll need to be welded up and redrilled, or has this been done already

Had a look at the old Princess calipers today and the holes were indeed welded up. and redrilled. But it looks as if this was only done to fit them into the smaller 13" wheels of a TR7 (Princess had a standard wheelsize of 14").
So probably will fit without to much trouble,only what wheels(ize) do you want to use  ??)

Archived