Rear HiSpec disc conversion

leylandracer

Not sure at the mo what discs are used, Still waiting to get the car back but; The handbrake now exerts 180kg,s per side which is double the requirement for the weight of the car. The rear foot brake works well too at 200kgs which is way over legal requirement . For interest the fronts were 300kg's each. all 4 have to add up to half the vehicle weight. so you have 300+300+200+200 = 1000kg where the requirement is 610 ( 1220kg divided by 2)

As soon as i have some more info ill post.

Steve

Now that's interesting - on the front I ahve BMW discs and Volvo 4 pot calipers whilst on the rear I have the 5 speed drum brakes fitted with 4 speed wheel cylinders (a "trick" tuning combo).

Just had an MOT and the braking results were

Front 200 n/s & 250 o/s
Rear 200 on both footbrake and handbrake

The 4 speed cylinders being slightly larger diameter - giving more force on the shoes.  Interesting the rear drums can give as much effort as the discs!  You were very near a 'fail' on the discs - in fact I think they were 'kind' to you, Only 25% difference is allowed between brakes on same axle. Does it seem to pull up straight on the road ?

bmcecosse wrote:
Does it seem to pull up straight on the road ?

Good question - as I have been without a licence for 12 months I have only driven it to the MOT station which is less than half a mile :-/

I'll know after this weekend tho - I am competing on the Little Devils - 25 tests in 15 locations :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its due back on Wednesday :) just in time for winter :'( oh well ill have to hope theres some decent winter weather. maybe will get the chance to run it on the dragstrip, think theres two more avents this year at York dragway.
Revington Triumph have been doing the conversion, mines been used to develop the kit for them to put on sale, not sure what they are going to charge for the kit? maybe one of you lads can ask ;)
Whist its been there they have been having a play with the dreaded quad 48's so hopfully its going to come back going as well as it will stop 8)time will tell.
The only thing i wish i had have gone for with the brakes is some nice seperate bells to match up with the fronts, but a bit skint with having a lot of work done to the Renault 5 T2 :( i.e. full maxi spec engine then over to EFI. anything else and i think the wife would have called it a day;D
Ill put a post up when i get it back to let you know the goods n bads.
Steve

P.S
Beans, yes it does use the os handbrake cable.
Stricky, Glad to hear the beast is taking shape, Maybe when it done, York Dragway? Would be good to get some fast(ish TR's together ;)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Not a good start since getting the TR back (heavy steering topic) at the moment ime not to impressed with Revington's work. Re; the brakes, they certainly stop it well and look good:-) but after a run out in it this aft the rears are binding :-( hopfully its just the handbrake needing adj, not really what i expected getting it back though, + after there tune/setting up the idle is way to low 5-600 rpm, Just sent a email to them, so ill have to see what excuses come back, Like i said though the brakes are really powerful.
But to be honest, a bit p----- off, Was expecting it back with the brakes 100% and not nearly stalling at idle!!!!!!!!

Steve

Archived