Spit drums on rotoflex rear

BiTurbo228

Just wondering if it would be possible to fit Spitfire drums onto a rotoflex hub.

Might seem odd, but I've already got a set of Spit drums, the rears don't do a great deal of braking and it'll help with my unsprung weight (especially with alfin drums if I shell out for a set).

If not, I'd need to procure a set of rotoflex drums from somewhere.

In theory I see no reason why not. And indeed I ran spit/herald drums on the back of my 2.5 vitesse for my entire ownership.

However, the question is will spit backplates fit??

there is a different part number between roto and non-roto early GT6, so not a direct swap. But you may be able to adapt one to fit. Probably redrill the mounting holes and maybe open up the centre??

Quoted from cliftyhanger
In theory I see no reason why not. And indeed I ran spit/herald drums on the back of my 2.5 vitesse for my entire ownership.

However, the question is will spit backplates fit??

there is a different part number between roto and non-roto early GT6, so not a direct swap. But you may be able to adapt one to fit. Probably redrill the mounting holes and maybe open up the centre??

That's what I was wondering. Curious as to whether the smaller shoes (and springs) would clear the rotoflex hub if they're different.

I think it might be a moot point actually given that I've just remembered I sold my Spit rear end to a chap who rebuilds them :S

Just priced up both using new parts from various places and there's only £33 in it. Not really worth the effort modifying Spit drums for that...

I think not because I'm pretty sure you'll find that the roto backplates are different where they fit to the vertical link and they were only ever made in the larger size. There might also be clearance issues but it's a moot point as I'm not sure you could get around the backplate mounting issue without undue effort anyway.

The drums on the other hand are same for roto/non-roto Vitesse 2L, GT6 and also (I think) some Dolomites so should be reasonably easy to find.  Unsprung weight difference not worth worrying about IMO.  You've already saved the weight of that cast lower link.

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones
I think not because I'm pretty sure you'll find that the roto backplates are different where they fit to the vertical link and they were only ever made in the larger size. There might also be clearance issues but it's a moot point as I'm not sure you could get around the backplate mounting issue without undue effort anyway.

The drums on the other hand are same for roto/non-roto Vitesse 2L, GT6 and also (I think) some Dolomites so should be reasonably easy to find.  Unsprung weight difference not worth worrying about IMO.  You've already saved the weight of that cast lower link.

Nick

Gotcha. I'm guessing the Spit backplates would need a plate welding on then new holes drilling which would probably require precision beyond what I can economically do at home.