Looking to change my rims but dont want to loose the classic look of the MK1

/uploads/mk1_pi.jpg
Some options include:
      Minilite reps
      Bathurst Globes ( similar to stag rims)
      Wire Wheels
      Datsun 240Z rims
      MGB Rostyle 
Open to any other sugestions and any pics you may have are very welcome.

Oh and any suggestions on how to get my rostyle trims to stop bl*%dy rattling would also be appreciated, as i like to keep them for displays and parades with my classic car club. (incidently,  the trumpy is the ONLY British car in the club out of more than 50 cars. She sure stands out in our displays ;D)

Thanks, Glen.

Car looks lovely, never seen one in red before, is it the original colour ? back to the wheel trims, i`ve always cut pieces of stiff foam, about the size of a mars bar and attached them to the edge of the reaqr of the rim, it seems to stop the rattle, another cause of the rattle may be having the wrong trim atached as there are a couple of different versions with a different size fitting ring, another cause maybe that people do not use the correct tool for removing the trim which causes the rim to distort and loosen causing the trim to rattle, i used to love taking corners at high speed in my Pi

I think the rattling is because the old rivits are slowly loosing their grip as they corrode.

ISTR the rear retainer is rivitted to the decorative face into the back of the fake wheelnuts.

Try stripping one down to check. I guess you don't have easy access to the fairly large quantities floating round the UK. ( I have about 12 spares for my PI in the garage).

Also, MGB rostyles look wrong.

You can fit TR6 rims to a Mk1 if you still have the short driveshafts.

Cheers

Colin

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yes the colour is original and i am led to believe very rare in Australia.

The colour is Signal Red and still has the original Dulux stamp on the firewall with the colour code.

My understanding is that the factory that put these cars together in Aus used Toyota colours and also did a few cars in totally different shades as test cars.

Someone will probably set me straight on the story. :B

I like the rostyles and i will try the different suggestions.
If possible a picture of the foam solution would be handy.

Actually one of the trims has an errant pop rivet in the back, so i might give both options a try.
Funny you mention that the MGB wheels just dont look right.
I was given a set that was no longer needed and was really dissapointed when on the car. :-/
Glen.

Archived