ferny

Can anyone confirm which way round the following goes.

mk1 car water pumps won't fit mk2 cars
mk2 car water pumps won't fit mk1 cars

I think mk2 water pumps fit all cars but mk1 pumps won't fit the later cars. Just want someone to confirm before I find a place to buy one.

ferny wrote:
Can anyone confirm which way round the following goes.

mk1 car water pumps won't fit mk2 cars
mk2 car water pumps won't fit mk1 cars

I think mk2 water pumps fit all cars but mk1 pumps won't fit the later cars. Just want someone to confirm before I find a place to buy one.

i think they all fit the same i brought and fitted one from a motor factors last year aslong as you have your registration handy that can find you one at your local factors which will be the correct one for you year altho im 99% sure there both the same pump but i dodnt know as much as others to its just a thoguht hope this helps. Tim.

So if there is a difference, it's probably that very early ones don't fit later engines but the later pumps fit all. I picked up that info somewhere, I just can't remember where. Easiest thing to do is buy a new then compare to what's on the car now. :)

I wouldn't trust Haynes too much. I don't think they tell you that the rear shoes and slaves are different on early cars either? The wiring diagram doesn't even match... :)

It seems that there's 3 different water pumps. I don't know if they're interchangable or not. This is what the parts catalogue says:

GWP1103 up to engine No. 2000000
GWP1104 from engine No. 2000001 to engine No. 3000000
GWP1140 from engine No. 3000001

I've only ever had to replace a water pump once (on Becky) and I just gave my motor factor the year of the car. It went on without any problems and gave no trouble since.

I hope this helps.

They are all the same fiment wise with small revisions in impeller design. I usually pick one up from ebay, �5 last time. Beware those selling a pump for "honda civic 73 - 83" as the 1200 73-79 EB civic engine pump will not fit the 1335 EN4 as used in the acclaim. Other than that the engines are closely related

Archived