Ally_H

[quote by=philwright link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1148803195,s=5 date=1148924376] ... and we buggered the front pulley trying to get it off! ... ;D[/quote]

Usually a quite straight forward job even without the right spanner. What went wrong than ??)

[quote by=beans link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1148803195,s=6 date=1148929779]

Usually a quite straight forward job even without the right spanner. What went wrong than ??)[/quote]

The pulley put up a fair fight in actually coming off! Got a video of part of the attempt here

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1839382539603983491

The comments at the end are the best bit if you ask me :D

(Edit: Changed to Google Video link, to avoid potential codec issues)

Euhh ... pulley extactor ???
Although some taps with a copper hamer should do the trick.
(never use steel hamers for this kind of work, very easy to damage the pulley)

edit no I am not into asian cooking

Yes, I did get her going - once I had got the firing order correct as per the manual, I undertook a bit of lead-swapping, initially to see if the dizzy was indeed 180 degrees out. Swapping the leads round 180 degrees just made her fire on the intake stroke and pressure up the inlet manifold like she was doing before. So, I had a think...and considered the actual workings of the engine and the time at which she should spark. If I could get her firing on the intake stroke, and I wanted her to fire on the compression stroke which is next in the cycle, then what should I do? Shift the leads round 90 degrees clockwise, that's what!

She fired up first time, no problem  :) though I'm still not sure why the timing should have been off like it was... ??)

Don't worry, I literally got her started then switched her straight back off again, I am determined the head is now staying put!!!

Thanks Phil and Ash for all your help at the weekend  ;D

Ally

Erm....well......she WAS working!

She fired up that once no probs, but has since flatly refused to repeat the performance. We still have fuel, and a good spark, and she seems to be sucking in air through the carbs as you'd expect. So, what's her problem?!?!? ??) Sheer stubbornness, it feels like!

It almost seems as if when we turn her over, she is fighting against something - but I can't think what - too high a compression ratio perhaps has been one suggestion?

I'm stumped! (Again) Maybe I shoulda bought a Spitfire...

Heeeelllppp!!

Ally  :-/

"Yes, I did get her going - once I had got the firing order correct as per the manual, I undertook a bit of lead-swapping, initially to see if the dizzy was indeed 180 degrees out. Swapping the leads round 180 degrees just made her fire on the intake stroke and pressure up the inlet manifold like she was doing before. So, I had a think...and considered the actual workings of the engine and the time at which she should spark. If I could get her firing on the intake stroke, and I wanted her to fire on the compression stroke which is next in the cycle, then what should I do? Shift the leads round 90 degrees clockwise, that's what!

She fired up first time, no problem  :) though I'm still not sure why the timing should have been off like it was... ??)"

Strangely Ally, I had exactly the same problem with mine on "la Carrera" and it was "Beans" that sorted it out - thanks mate ;). I have never had the dizzy out but S&S Preps fitted it as a  second hand replacement. Given that your car was from Accrington it is possible that they also worked on your car, maybe they know something we don't?

[quote by=beans link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1148803195,s=14 date=1149946815]Check the timing to start with, dizzy rotor should be pointing at rear bolt off inlet manifold at TDC off no 1 cilinder. Work from there on ....[/quote]

The vacuum retard unit should be pointing straight to the back
And off course check the points gap

Hi All

She is fixed now...well, generally speaking anyway! It turned out that we did have the timing etc. right, and the problem was just an unexpectedly dead battery :B. She is seeming to drain perfectly healthy batteries at an alarming rate of knots, so I think we'll be checking the electrics next time we work on her! At least everything is fitted back up now, we have a cooling system and all four wheels are back on terra firma. There's a few leaks to fix yet, but that's about it! :)

Thanks everyone for the help, I'm sure you won't have heard the last of me on here, what's gonna break next...?

Ally

Archived