Dan16v

so im in the process of renewing all the bushes and dampers for the mk1 GT6 as they are all well and trully knackered.

Has anyone used the KYB dampers?  They come in black and at a reasonable price (£60 a pair), but only on the front as they have discontinued the rears.  I have done a forum search but not turned up anyting.  Im debating using some fast road springs, but I know some of the cheaper dampers tend to feel more bouncy with harder springs.

Also, all the poly bushes seem to be red or blue, im keen for it to look orginal (ish) and would want black bushes, I take it some new orginals would be fine as I have seen a whole front end refurb kit for about £70

KYB are decent quality. OE to lots of manufacturers so should be fine, much better than the "black" ones that are very cheap and probably better than some of the more expensive ones too.

Firmer front springs are a good idea, at least 330lb, I always get mine from Moss as they say the spring rate AND the fitted lengths, unlike lots of places who just say "uprated" Always been happy with them too.

Now bushes. "original" metalastic, yes, will last well. However, I doubt you will find them, only repro rubber that is not fit for purpose. You may need to compromise on the colour thing. (and don't buy on price, always check the quality!)

cliftyhanger wrote:
KYB are decent quality. OE to lots of manufacturers so should be fine, much better than the "black" ones that are very cheap and probably better than some of the more expensive ones too.

Firmer front springs are a good idea, at least 330lb, I always get mine from Moss as they say the spring rate AND the fitted lengths, unlike lots of places who just say "uprated" Always been happy with them too.

Now bushes. "original" metalastic, yes, will last well. However, I doubt you will find them, only repro rubber that is not fit for purpose. You may need to compromise on the colour thing. (and don't buy on price, always check the quality!)

Thanks Clive, I've read a bit about the moss ones being too short when in the 330lb rating, but I need to see what spring length is on it now to get an idea of what reduction in free length I need.  I just need to look at some decent rear shocks now that don't cost a fortune?

Do the likes of Cranley classics, Rimmers etc sell decent standard bushes or do they all get them from the same place  and hence why most people go with poly bushes?

Ignore the free length, it is fitted that matters. Of course, free length will have an effect....

May well be worth asking what others recommend. I run the moss 480lb springs on my spitfire, very happy.
If springs work out a bit too low, you can add spacers to increase height. But a pet hate is cars where the nose sits too high!

The MOSS Triumphtune 330lb "Road lowered"springs (TT4701 sit about 3/4 inch lower than standard on a GT6 which is a nice stance as per the picture below so no need for spacers. The Spitfire ones have a different part number so are probably slightly shorter to allow for the lighter engine.

cook1e wrote:
The MOSS Triumphtune 330lb "Road lowered"springs (TT4701 sit about 3/4 inch lower than standard on a GT6 which is a nice stance as per the picture below so no need for spacers. The Spitfire ones have a different part number so are probably slightly shorter to allow for the lighter engine.

Thanks

Just ordered some mirrors from moss, could have combined postage, woops

Did they come in black? I'm trying to keep it looking Original as I can with a few subtle updates