rhodes

All the recent arguing about cam followers made me look at mine yesterday as there was a noisy one which I could not shut up.  Needless to say I found a problem but my question here is- does anyone risk re-using a head gasket, or is it always essential to fit a new one?

If it's solid copper, not sandwich, you can aneal it and reuse after coating both sides with wellseal or something similar. Otherwise new gasket. Copper gasket is thinner btw, higher compression ratio

I thought the 1500 reverted to the smaller inlet valves.  It was only when I found my inlet valves were bigger than those for a 1500 that I realised in 2002 I had a 1300 head on a 1500 block.  My original 1500 head had died in about 1982 owing to burned valve seat and the local garage got me a second hand replacement.  The car stood unused in my garage for nearly 20 years so it was a bit late to moan at the garage.

The upside is that it has only done 44,000 miles.  I read with amusement when people on this site talk about things like replacing UJs on the half shafts when mine haven't been touched since the day they were built in 1978.

Archived