Spitfire 1500- replacement water pump etc

Kevin R

I am a club member and have a Spitfire 1500, registered Aug 1981 and built April 1980, VIN TFADW1AT006780 and engine No FM13499SHF.

I need to replace the water pump which is just starting to leak and wondered if you could advise if I need the viscous or non viscous type ?.

I also need to replace the timing cover and will check the timing chain and sprockets with a view to replacing them if required.

If these are replaced and the car is kept immobile and in gear, is it safe to assume that the timing will be unaltered and will not need to be reset ?

Also, which antifreeze do you recommend (UK - winter stored in garage)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello Kevin. I am sure a member of the Spitfire cognoscenti will be along shortly in relation to your mechanical questions. As regards the anti-freeze you need an ethylene glycol silicate containing type (Bluecol or similar). The newer long life OAT (Organic acid Technology) type coolants are not compatible with our engines. I run a 50/50 mix of Bluecol/rainwater year round and change this every two years without fail before the anti-corrosion additives lose their effectiveness. Always top up, if needed, with the same 50/50 mix to preserve the concentration.

Tim

On a very late car like that I would expect it to have a viscous fan. It's very easy to check, though. Open the bonnet, engine off, and try to turn the fan. If it turns quite easily then it's a viscous one, if it tries to drag the water pump round against the fan belt then it's non-viscous.

I would not rely on "non-moving and in gear" to keep your cam timing. It's much more likely to be the camshaft that gets accidentally rotated! If you're going to change the gears then you probably need to re-set the timing. If you're only removing and refitting you can do it by marking up, otherwise it's the full set-to-TDC then put the valves "on the rock" method.