johhnyboy

I posted  a message a while ago as my spitfire 1300 engine rattled for a short while when atarted from cold.It was suggested that I needed to change the oil filter as there is a non return valve in it.I have done this as well as changing the oil but it still rattles loudly for about 20 seconds when started from cold.is there anything else I can do as oil pressure is fine when running?
Is there a special make of filter I need?
should I put wynns in the engine or what else should I do?

johhnyboy wrote:
I posted  a message a while ago as my spitfire 1300 engine rattled for a short while when atarted from cold.It was suggested that I needed to change the oil filter as there is a non return valve in it.I have done this as well as changing the oil but it still rattles loudly for about 20 seconds when started from cold.is there anything else I can do as oil pressure is fine when running?
Is there a special make of filter I need?
should I put wynns in the engine or what else should I do?

Try this stuff, not for leaks but as a 'wear' protection additive.

http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/products.php?page=products&subpage=product&product=54

Sounds like your big ends may be worn, I'm assuming the rattle is coming from the bottom end of your engine.

Johhny, the rattle at start-up is very common and doesn't mean your engine is about to fly apart. Most filters lose their oil over a few hours (OK, all the filters I've tried). When you start the engine, the oil pump has to refill the filter before it gets to the bearings and stops the rattle.

The best thing for your engine is just to turn it over for ten to twenty seconds on the starter before pulling out the choke and starting it. The filter might not be full, but it's well on the way. Once the engine does fire up, don't rev it, just let it idle as slowly as possible until the pressure comes up.

I guess the ultimate solution would be to fit a remote filter with the filter pointing down so that it doesn't drain. But a normal engine can last for a long time if you don't rev it before the oil light goes out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived