Storing Body and Engine

johnmosborneuk

Does anyone have any advice on storing the engine and rear deck?

I am about to undertake a full restoration of my 13/60 convertible however I doubt I will have enough space in the garage to keep the rear deck indoors while I work on the chassis (most of the outriggers are shot :( and I'd like to make sure there aren't any other nasties waiting for me).  As it will be outside, will a tarpaulin be enough? what is the best orientation to keep it to limit damage/distortion?

I will be storing the engine in the garage however I plan to drain the oil/cooling system beforehand; is there anything I need to be aware of other than block up any holes to prevent ingress of dirt?.

Thanks in advance,
John

I'd leave the oil in the engine, it will not harm it and will prevent any damp corrosion, but i'd remove the carb and stuff a rag in the hole then keep the carb indoors away from the damp, just turn the engine over every month, but put some oil down the plug hole leaving the plugs loose, remove the clutch or it might stick to the flywheel.

As for the rear buck if it's going to need some work then put it on a pallet with some casters on the so you can move it around, then cover it with a tarpaulin use some old carpet on the sharp corners so the tarpaulin doesn't get holled then just remove it from time to time to check you don't have a swimming pool ;)