BrianJT

Hi, I've just been told by a mechanic that my spark plugs (Champion N5, 3/4 inch reach) are too long for the head on my engine. The basis for that claim is a clear combustion colouration for the last 3/8 inch nearest to tip.  States that correct reach is 3/8 inch. Any comments (apart from 'Well change them, then') as to this possibility?  Has it to do with different compression ratios - my car manual states that optional ratios (instead of 8.5:1) of 9.0 or 9.5 are/were available.  The implication is that the 3/4 inch reach plugs were meant to be used with the 8.5 ratio but does that agree with the reduced combustion chamber volume that would result from having a greater thickness of chamber wall?
All constructive comments will be acknowledged with gratitude.
BrianJT

herald948 wrote:
As I recall, the 948s did use a 3/4" reach plug, while 1147s had a 1/2" reach plug. It went back to 3/4" reach for the 1296. You might look for the stamped part number on your head; perhaps it is from an 1147?

3/4" is correct, though plenty of literature down the years has (incorrectly) stated the 948 plug length as 1/2".
The 1200 head will fit straight onto a 948 block so it's not inconceivable that the head is the wrong type,

Cheers,
Bill.

The 1200 head would lower the compression substantially, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. With some work the compression could be brought back up, while everything would line-up OK.
I don't have any heads around or decent library photographs, from memory the 948 head has markings cast in the top face, a rather prominent "10" comes to mind,

Cheers,
Bill.

1200 stamping is on the flat machined face where the rocker cover gasket sits (may be partly covered by the rocker cover).  I seem to recall somewhere at the rear, but can't remember which side.

1200 heads include:
510461 8:1
514431 8:1
514441 8.5:1
513963 8.5:1
(also 510462 and 514432 6.8:1)
The CR applies of course if fitted to a 1200 engine.  Quick (rough) sums suggest that a 1200 8:1 head on a 948 would give just under 7:1 and a 8.5:1 head just over 7.25.

C