Spitfire4me

Another thread reminded me about my fuel pump. It annoys me with is constant chattering. You know how it goes: chatter chatter chatter, ....silence.... then off it goes again.

I am told it is normal and it seems the pump was changed just before i got the car in 2000.

I am also told that solid state pump is the answer. Any experience or advice out there?

The fuel pump makes a clicking sound, its that what you mean? The clicking is when the points are opening and shutting, when it slows down it means the presssure has built up. But the clicking is quite normal and is nothing to worry about

I do not know to much about solid state pumps but believe they dont use electrical points. Apparently they are meant to be ok but are more exspensive. I will ask Andrew as he will know alot more than me.

By the way your stag looks a real beauty,  8) its the colour we originaly wanted.

Tina

The clicking doesnt worry me as a problem but just that the noise is a little intrusive.

I look forward to hearing about the solid state one. How much do they cost?

When i went looking for a Stag I had a list of wants:  Tax Free but preferred mk2, Manual O/D, French Blue and Kent plate. Well as you see its a mk2 (no 20,298 made Nov 72) right colour but missed out on the Kent plate. Hey Ho!

I rebuilt the engine myself over last winter (boy do I have some stories there!) and have been enjoying it since. My two girls and wife love it although I still think a Spitfire (round tail) is more fun and instantly useable. It takes ages to put a Stag hood up compared with a mk 3 Spit!

We also had a list of wants, had to be tax free french blue, Manual O/D ahh! and rust free :)  Manual O/D yes, Virtually rust free Yes. As to Tax free just missed out and colour did not stand a chance.

I am not to sure how long it takes to put up a spitfire hood, but the stag I find really easy, I can put it up on my own in a few mins. So much easier than the herald we had, there would have been no way I could have put it up on my own.

Tina

Not done a herald Hood myself. The mk3 Spitfire was a 'in the drivers seat job' when needed. Turn around reach for the header rail pull it up and turn the two handles. i used to leave the poppers undone  unless I really had too do them.

As to the Stag, with the release handle and then two frame releases to do it just seems more arduous. You then have to slam the back section catch and if rsaining do the rear window up too. I raerely have the hood up so maybe its lack of practice!

Putting away is equally difficult. Does yours slide away and tonneasu down with any trouble? I find I forget to put the release handle back down and then the tonneau doent close easily even if the handle is down. But hey other than that the Stag is lovely.

I have justs acquired a patient hoist to attach to the garage ceiling so that the hardtop can go up and down with a pull of a switch. A beaulieu autojumble treasure!

I had to change the pump when I was doing mine (well, I could have rebuilt it but couldn't be bothered) but I elected for the original click sound. It helps me know that the fuel system is working properly, and stops me trying to start it before the pressure has built up.

As for the soft top, I find it easier to do properly than the spitfire hood, and can put it up and take it back down in about a minute or so on my own. It's practice that makes perfect, and doing it in the right order, of course ;)

Good point about knowing its working and pressure is there. No point changing it til something goes wrong I suppose

As to hood perhaps it is just lack of practice. I would love to see someone who knows how to do it in the right order. I might learn something!

Thanks

Yeah, I suppose "right order" is a misnomer. I don't suppose there is any "right order" but doing certain bits in a certain order make things easier for me.

Personally I alsways do mine from the passenger side. I first unlock the hood from the windscreen, pull the lever to pop the rear and remember to push the lever back down. Then I get out of the car, lift the rear arm a bit and reach in and unzip the window. Then I lock the rear bit in it's catch. I then lift the tonneau, slide everything back into the storage area and click the tonneau shut after.

Putting it up is similar, pop the tonneau (again, making sure that I close the latch properly), lift the hood up so that it's more or less in place to lock the wndscreen in place, making sure the side flaps aren't trapped between the B post seals (it may be just my hood that does this).

Then I get into the car and lock the front down, get out and lock the door. I then unlatch the rear segment from the catch on the passengers side, lower it a bit, reach under and zip the window back in place, and finally give it a good push to lock it into the rear. Job done :)

MMM. I will give you a call when mine needs doing. he he.

Yours does sound easier than mine. It is a relatively new hood and recon frame. maybe its all new rubbers that mean it doesnt slide into it place so easily thus the tonneau doesnt shut easily. I have to slam it and perhaps sit on the right side. Always think it must be easier than this!! Your Stag looks nice by the way.

Yeah, the guy who fitted my hood (E J Ward) said that the mechanism was in exceptionally good condition and that many hood frames don't survive the test of time very well.

As for my Stag looking nice, well, the camera never lies, but neither does it always tell the truth! There's still a lot of bodywork to be done including welding, chrome and respray.

My hood is a pig to put up, I have to lock the front in place first and then have to slam
the back down as hard as I can. If I do it the other way round I need somebody on
the outside to hold the hood down on the top of the screen while I lock the handles,
I think it must have shunk in the wash. So if you see me driving around with the top
down at this time of year you will know why.

ah so its not just me then!

As to photos. Mine isnt quite as nice as it looks although it isnt far off thank goodness. I do a lot of minor paint work a bit at a time. Lots of paint and rubbing back and before you know it you cant tell!

I wonder if our hoods that are not working quite right just need adjustment? If the material is shrunk back get the hood up in position and get it wet all over. Then leave it to thoroughly dry in the up position. It should reset itself after that. happens to hoods that are usually stored away.

Yeah, that may be worth a go. My hood is brand new, I had it put on in July (I think, or maybe June). The guy told me to leave it out in the rain to get it wet and then let it dry to ensure that it "fits" correctly.

I can't shut the back before locking the front, it doesn't reach properly and is a real pita, which is why I do the rear last, but it only takes a quick push to lock it in place. I just rest a hand on the frame above the bayonet bit and kind of jerk down with my body weight. No reall effort involved.

By the way, your Stag does look good. I need some nice alloys on mine, rather than the tatty rostyle hubcaps.

Mine has been filled badly on the rear arches and I'm going to get some new metal welded in at some stage. It's also been dusted over at least once, but I think maybe twice, and the paint is quite bad in places. To top it off the bonnet is badly crazed from the heat. All in all, I think a respray is the best bet. But once it's done, it'll look as good as yours :)

I have to encourage the header rail latches to fit but not too bad. I like it to be stretched into position. Gives a tight fit (oo er).

Careful with doing your car up! You do one thing and what you previously found acceptable is no longer upto scratch. Which is why i must do my bumpers. The front is ok but the rear is poor. Dented and a little pitted. Any one got an older rear bumper for rechroming?

Good luck with your car. Perhaps I will see it one day.

Archived