Vitesse 2L - buying advice

Poppy

Hi there,

Does anyone have any tips/recommendations of what to look for when buying a Vitesse?  I'm completely new to classic cars however I've been given the opportunity to buy a 1966 2L mk 1.  She's been partly restored several years ago but has sat in a dry barn for the last 5 years after her owner lost interest.

Having had a quick look, the body work looks in good condition, and a new hood's been fitted.  However, I don't know what else to look for, or if there are any specific problem areas.

Is a Vitesse a practical first classic?  (I had initially heard that it was a herald so the 2L model seems a bit daunting atm).  I'm ideally looking for something to do a few classic tours in, and would love to do the 12car next month (but I don't think she'd be ready this summer!)

Thank you

try and get to have a good poke around at the chassis in the diff. area, prone to severe corrossion on convertables. also lift the back seat to look at corrosion there as well, also front footwells. depending on mileage the engine has done, try and lever the front pulley for and aft to check the excessive crankshaft end float. if you have a good chassis to start with most of the rest is do,able, spare parts availability is genrally very good. where the cars been standing expect a complete brake system overhaul and a new set of tyres. also clutch will probably be seized, but can all be sorted. any chance of posting up some pics!
regards, bryan,  oh, by the way, welcome to the forum

A Vitesse is a good place to start - powerful enough to keep up with modern traffic, excellent spares availability and good club support, most of the parts are available and there's a thriving eBay market for the stuff that's not been remade.

One simple piece of advice unless you're in he trade and/or have a tallent for it - buy bodywork. Mechanicals are fairly easy and usually more of a fixed price - ie if you budget for a complete braking system then you can hit the parts prices and work out what it's going to cost. Howeber if you need say a new wing then is that all you need? There's parts, labour, paint, hidden damage etc to ducget for. So, unless money's not a big issue, buy the most sound and solid car you can afford.

Which was what?  I'm intrigued now  :P

I made a silly offer for the Vitesse and I'm still waiting back to hear.  Thanks for your suggestions - I think  I'm going to go and have another look and a good poke around for corrosion.  I've got some pictures on my phone but can't work out how to get them onto here!

Thanks for a good point about body work - I do have a mate who is used to building rally cars but I don't know if he would be interested in a classic.  Apparently it was restored not long before it was laid up but I don't know what was done.

Which is the best manual/restoration guide to get or are they all pretty similar?

Many thanks!

For the most part all the manuals are a re-print of the orignal factory one.  Some do a little better explaining than outhers.  I find haveing more than one tha answer.  Be warned though they all assume the use'er has more than a basic knowledge.  Like Jason said allways buy the best example you can afford.  

Archived