Door, or frame & skin?

GarethP

I have the option of the above.

I need a new N/S door and have seen a NOS door and also a NOS frame and NOS skin for sale relatively locally by different people.

Combined, the frame and skin are about 1/2 price of the door.

Will be fitted etc. by a mechanic mate with welding kit etc.

Which is best to go for?

Will the door come with anything not on the frame and skin?

Thanks in advance...

Are you sure the frame is genuine NOS? There is no part number recorded for this in the factory lists, is it in black or red transit finish?
If your car is perfectly straight and unmolested then the door should bolt straight on. In the real world this rarely happens. It's generally accepted that frames and skins need the odd tweak to fit the cars they are intended for. It's generally easier to build a door to fit a specific car than it is to modify an assembled door shell,
Cheers,
Bill.

I believe the door (if its the eay one) is a fitchett door made from the original tooling.

I have two of these fitted to my Vitesse and am told were a b@stard to fit.

If I were you I would re-skin your original door as long as the frame is sound.  You know it fits so there shoudn't be much of a problem.

Cheers
David

If you look at the bottom corners of the door shell............the bit that sits in the door shut...............a genuine one will be a fairly smooth pressing.

All of the new/repro I have seen that are allegedly done on the original press tooling are creased or crinkled, which would suggest that they are not. Hence the fitting problems. 

Archived