Will Stromberg carbs fit on an SU manifold?

BiTurbo228

Should be more specific, I've got a set of Stromberg CD175s that I'd like to fit to an 1850 Slant 4 that's currently fitted with SUs.

It'll be going in a Spitfire eventually, and my thinking was that the lower profile Stombergs might provide just that little bit of extra clearance to mean I don't have to put bulges in the bonnet.

If they fit on a Stromberg manifold then that works too as there's one on a well known auction site at the moment

You may be better off with a TR7 manifold, as that uses 1.75" SU's and bolts onto a 1850. So already correct size. Not sure on stud spacing.....

Of course sprint SU's have short dashpots too. And can be used on the TR7 manifold direct.

As an afterthought, all those use rubber blocks between manifold and carb, that is the difficult bit to work out....

Quoted from cliftyhanger
You may be better off with a TR7 manifold, as that uses 1.75" SU's and bolts onto a 1850. So already correct size. Not sure on stud spacing.....

Of course sprint SU's have short dashpots too. And can be used on the TR7 manifold direct.

As an afterthought, all those use rubber blocks between manifold and carb, that is the difficult bit to work out....

Rubber blocks between manifold and carb? Oh dear, best look closer at some parts diagrams :S

Thanks for the tip on the TR7 manifold, and the Sprint short SUs. As it'll be a bit of a budget build and I've managed to get 3 CD175s and a ton of random parts for £30 I'll try them first. If fuelling is an issue I'll switch to the SUs for the greater availability of needles

The SU HS6 carbs will fit the TR7 manifold. My 1850 had such a setup when I first got it. I'm now on HS4s. I'm gradually getting the parts to do the Stromberg carb conversion. The early 1850s used the 150CDS. You will need the Stromberg manifold. I don't think they'll fit the SU manifold although they look similar. I know of somebody who has a Stromberg manifold.