smiddytom

Can someone enlighten me as to whether there are differences between models on front valances.  I had an idea that the 948 was different and those fitted to later models were all the same, but a mate of mine said it was the 13/60 that was different.  Is there a big difference between them because second hand ones dont often appear with accurate descriptions, and i dont want to fit my 1360 with one that doesnt look right?

Cheers
Tom

The 948 and Mk1 1200 used the same valance pressing, no bulged underside or cooling slot beneath/behind the numberplate.
From mid 1962, the bulged and slotted panel was introduced. The main pressing is common between Herald 1200 and Vitesse, but the Vitesse panel has a shallower back upper edge, to clear the forward mounted radiator. The width of the overrider cutouts is also different. From 1967 the bulged corners were flattened on all valances, from then the Vitesse panel was fitted with small top-hat brackets, to mount the outside edge of the alloy bumpers.
The 13/60 panel is the same as the late Vitesse pressing in most respects, but the upper back edge has a step, the top-hat brackets are also omitted.
Mixing and matching isn't a good idea, finding any decent secondhand valance is difficult, let alone finding the type you want! There area also bumper retaining strips fitted on the 1200 & 13/60 valances, but these can be added/removed as required.
Cheers,
Bil.

Archived