Alternator light problem

sally

Hi all,

Not been here for a while because nothings gone wrong with the car :)

Anyway, the alternator light has been on dimly now for a year!  When I turn the ignition on the oil and alternator light are both on strong.  When the engine starts both lights go out, but the alternator stays on a little.

Clearly there's nothing wrong with the charging as the car has been used everyday in all kinds of weather with everything turned on.

Any hints? it would be nice to make this one go away.  Incidently the fuel warning and handbrake light also light up dimly.

Sally

It's been like this for over a year and hasn't got any worse.  This makes me think there's nothing really wrong with the alternator as the battery as also always well charged and the  reading on the volts gauge is 13+

Sally

My alternator light glows very dimly when the car idles. The alternator was new (reconditioned) a year ago. Volts measure fine everything seems normal to me. I would not worry unless the light is glowing quite brightly. Mine is just visible when I am parked in the dark garage.

neil

• 3 weeks later...

personally I'd leave it until the damp weather clears and see what's happening in the spring, it may go away by itself, may be bad earth somewhere, time for a terminal clean up possibly, both behind the dash and under the bonnet...

also the oldie worldie voltmeters are ploppy and dont give particularly accurate readings, especially if its the original.  dont have that problem as all my dials are brand new, and the car is in bits

;D

best to use a decent quality multimeter for accurate readings.

Archived