Exhaust manifold installation

smegsville

Having installed  set of stainless steel manifolds and new engine mounts, the left hand bank manifold touches the steering rod leading to the rack. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to prevent the manifold from touching the rod?

I'm just about to do the same. To be honest this sounds like a manufacturing fault with the manifold (unless you know of any mods to the steering). I believe the manifolds are a tight fit and recommended engine mounts should be fitted but they shouldn't interfere with the steering. Is there any adjustment in the steering at all? I would reckon this is fixed and no adjustment possible. I don't think i'm helping much here just trying to air a few possibilities. Did you get the manifolds from a well known supplier? May be a pattern issue that say JP or Rimmers could resolve.

Something has just dawned on me. Is your car lhd? You say the left bank manifold interferes with the steering inferring a lhd. It may be that there are RHD and LHD manifold and exhaust kits? I may be off the mark here but that's my best guess i'm afraid.

Something has just dawned on me. Is your car lhd? You say the left bank manifold interferes with the steering inferring a lhd. It may be that there are RHD and LHD manifold and exhaust kits? I may be off the mark here but that's my best guess i'm afraid.

Thanks Bryan, for the comments and I can confirm they where purchased from James Paddocks and new engine mounts have been installed. The car is right hand drive. Having taken the sterring linkage off there may be approx 12mm of adjustment - thereby moving the point of contact. Alternatively it may be a case of removing the manifold and getting it skimmed.

we brought our exhaust manifolds from phoenix exhausts, I think that Paddocks get them from the same place. We fitted ours without a problem. I think I may know what your problem is, but first I will have to check on our stag later today.

Can you take a pic of the area where they are fitted and linkage if you have a digital camera.

Will get back to you tomorrow

Andrew

we brought our exhaust manifolds from phoenix exhausts, I think that Paddocks get them from the same place. We fitted ours without a problem. I think I may know what your problem is, but first I will have to check on our stag later today.

Can you take a pic of the area where they are fitted and linkage if you have a digital camera.

Will get back to you tomorrow

Andrew

sorry for delay in replying but have been working.

Thankyou for the pic. I take it they are the same manifolds as we have,  as they are made at the same place so they should be fine.   If you still have a problem, give us a call. I will email my you my number. It might be easier to explain on the phone.

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

I have come across this problem many a time over the years. Its worse on a Rover Engine.
I have just carefully hammered the pipe slightly flat where it nears the steering column shaft.
You need a good clearance because when you rev the engine, it dips on the drivers side.

Archived