Lights-On Warning Buzzer

DJT

Having walked away from my Stag yet again and left the lights on (symptom of driving a modern Audi with automatic light system) I want to fit a warning buzzer. I found a couple of elegant solutions on the web, but these are for cars where the door switch drops to earth, which is not the case in the Stag so they don't work.

http://www.elises.co.uk/diy/buzzer/index.html
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/electricstext2.htm#interior

Can anyone assist here and come up with a simple solution? I am capable of following simple wiring diagrams, but readily admit to not being much good at devising them.

Dave

Try Frank Ashton (the Club's electrical wizard) who runs East Midlands group.  The circuit needs a diode.  He did an illustrated article for 'Club Torque', and when I wrote to congratulate  him on his explanation of a diode -which even a dummy like me could understand - he sent me the lights-on warning buzzer he had made up for the illustration!  That was in 2003 - and its still working!
Email me and I'll send you his email address . . .

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck,
Thanks for the info. I have been given a solution from another source, which I am going to try today. I will let you know how I get on. If this milder weather continues, I expect to be using my Stag more during the Winter, so it is only a matter of time before I get a flat battery unless I fit something.

Cheers,
Dave

Update: Job done thanks to some feedback from a Stag owner in the US on another Forum. Thanks

Nick,

Tried one of those kits in the past. They all seem to be designed for door switches that drop to earth, but the Stag ones don't. Did the job with a £1.99 12v buzzer and a 10p diode from Radio Parts and a auto relay (couple of quid from the local accessories shop). A few connectors and a couple of bits of wire and it is sorted - once I worked out where to get the feeds from.

Dave

Had a couple of Maplins ones over 10 years ago, worked fine without extra mods, but micro wire kept breaking off at connections, I gave up in the end!

Could make use of them now though - the only breakdown I have had in Gertie since the RBRR was when I left the lights on all day at work - doh!

Mikey,
If you want details on what I fitted let me know. Only took half an hour to make and fit at a cost of less than a fiver.

If your car has door switches that go to earth, then this would do you:
http://www.elises.co.uk/diy/buzzer/index.html
If they are like the Stag switches then you need another component (relay).

Dave

Just use a simple two wire buzzer.

Im pretty sure you could just connect to your igntion switch. The line that usually goes full positive when igniton is on can be used as an earth when the ignition is off. Works a bit like your alternator light, i.e when your ignition is on it will cancel the circuit out, removing earth from the buzzer. Put a diode inline just incase but probably not needed.

Connect positive of buzzer to positive out from light switch when lights are on.

So lights on, ignition off it buzzes.

Ash

[quote by=adam01 link=Blah.pl?b=stag,m=1166290330,s=7 date=1166887324]Hi Dave

Really love to know what you did could i know please

many thanks again for good advice

Adam[/quote]

Adam,
You'll need a 12v automotive relay, (I bought one with a mounting tab attached, available from any auto accessory shop), a buzzer and a diode (the last two from Radio Spares). Link one of the coil terminals (85 or 86) to terminal 30 and then to an earthing eye. Run a wire from the other coil terminal (85 or 86) to the purple/red wire behind the RHS door switch (accessed behind the A-pillar carpet). Be careful here as this switch is supplied by the 35 amp battery fuse. Either pull the fuse or disconnect the battery.
Connect the diode to terminal 87, then to the buzzer and then to the supply to the instrument lighting rheostat.
I secured the buzzer to the relay with a small ty-wrap, then mounted the relay to the dashboard securing nut behind the instrument cluster, making sure all wires and connections are taped up. The earth eye was also connected to this nut.
Doing it this way, everything is connected/mounted behind the dashboard. There are other ways of connecting to the P/R door switch wire and lighting as these are both accessible at the centre console.
The way I have done it means that the buzzer sound whenever the door is opened with the lights on, irrespective of whether the ignition key is switched on or not. There are times when you want to leave side-lights on with the ignition switched off, such as when parked facing the wrong way at night.

Diagram attached - click Buzzer.doc above

Hmmmmm.

You dont have to wire the positive of a buzzer to the sidelight output of the light switch,  just use the headlight circuit instead.

I dont see the need to use a relay at all.

I do do this for a living www.vehiclesystems.org.uk

Ash

[quote by=ashmeson2005 link=Blah.pl?b=stag,m=1166290330,s=10 date=1166913099]Hmmmmm.

I dont see the need to use a relay at all.

[/quote]
Ash
The Stag door switch does not drop to earth, unlike most car door switches. If it did then the relay is not needed and can be wired the same as described on the Elise website (link in earlier posting)
I initially tried without a relay and it does not work. My solution was recommended by a Stag enthusiast who is also an autoelectrician.
Dave

Archived