Vitesse reverse/number plate lamp

GarthT

My reverse/number plate lamp is in a bad state and it's damaged underneath, the metal is cracked so I bought another in the hope of getting it rechromed, then rebuilding it. It's a Lucas 469 unit.

I could just buy a repro one, they are usually sold as a Jaguar reverse lamp as they were fitted to the XK 120 and 140, but I thought I'd have a go at restoring the one I have.

They bits I'm having trouble with are the rivets that hold the reverse glass in which also accept a dome headed countersunk bolt which hols the unti together, and the smaller 6 rivets that hols the number plate lamps lenses in.

If I drill these out, where can I get replacements and what tool do I need to refit them?

thanks in advance.

Thanks Steve, yeah I've been on his site before and also talked to him at Stoneleigh this year.

It'll cost me £99 for a repro one delivered from him. I can get one for £87 delivered from the States off eBay. Odd that.....

of course then I do run the risk of having to pay another £18 import tax if customs get their thieving mits on it. :-/

Are the numberplate bits meant to be riveted in then? Mine are held in by tiny brass rivety-looking things which have tiny bend over tags on the back-I 'restored' the see-through bits on mine by using a cut-up transparent sandwich box.

no, that's correct what you have there BX. Mine had the same rivet headed split pins but I foolishly chopped them out.

Nice touch with the sarnie box plastic, might have to borrow that idea.

Bill, last time I bought summat from the States or Oz, it was about a tenner then that £8.50 Royal Mail thing on top. Rip.

2204 wrote:
Bill, last time I bought summat from the States or Oz, it was about a tenner then that £8.50 Royal Mail thing on top. Rip.

I don't know if car parts are subject to duty, I rarely buy anything automotive from overseas so I'm not familiar with the tarifs. Even without duty though, you will be charged VAT at 20% on the cost of the parts AND carriage, plus the £8.50 fee.
If duty is payable, it will be added before the VAT is calculated,

Cheers,
Bill.

lordleonusa wrote:
strictly speaking, returned British goods should not be subject to import duty/vat on the value of the goods, only the carriage.

It will certainly be liable for VAT unless it's been previously paid. Same applies with complete cars, both of my personal imports were liable for VAT on entering the UK. One was built in India, the other was exported from the UK as a new vehicle.

If the part is indeed an item of returned British goods, then there would be no duty, but is it? If it's newly manufactured outside of the EU, it will be treated as a new part, liability for duty will then depend solely on the tarif.

Cheers,
Bill.

Archived