COX1E

Hello,

Go easy, this is my first post...

My damn horn work work! I have replaced the relay and the switch. The Horns themselves do work, but I can't get them to work by pressing the button. On the relay I have 3 wires, and they are connected as follows:

C1 Purple and Yellow wire
C2 Purple Wire
W1 Purple and Black wire

This is how I have found pitcures on the web and what I have found on this forum. Are there different types of relay or something? I must be missing something really obvious aren't I?

Any help would be spot on as it's the last thing I need to do before I can get the MOT!!

Many Thanks

Steve

Ok ,the old story
The column is earthed through the steering rack via the steering uj and horn push
To check if you have continuity, put a crocodile clip(jump lead) on the upper part of steering column where it comes out of the bulkhead to earth
Push horn. If it works then the earthing is failing further down
There should be an earth braid `jumping` the steering uj as there is a rubber joint in there
So a wire should go from bolt on the upper portion to the bolt on the lower portion
Then there should be an earth wire from steering rack to chassis
All that makes the continuity
Start there and come back

Hi Steve,

maybee the problem is your new relais. Is the new one the special one for the horns (3 connectors; W1,C1,C2), or the "normal" one for such things as the overdrive (4 connectors; W1,W2,C1,C2)?

The horn relais has an internal connection W2-C2.
If you use the 4-connection one, you have to bridge C2 to W2 externally.

Cheers
Harry

Hello,

Thanks for your replies and help!

The winner is....

HMaze

maybee the problem is your new relais. Is the new one the special one for the horns (3 connectors; W1,C1,C2), or the "normal" one for such things as the overdrive (4 connectors; W1,W2,C1,C2)?

The horn relais has an internal connection W2-C2.
If you use the 4-connection one, you have to bridge C2 to W2 externally.

I needed to bridge the two terminals on the relay. As soon as I did this the horn started working.

Again thanks for all the replies and help. Fingers crossed for the MOT now!

:)

Archived