Troubleshooting electrics?

R1CBM

OK, so in normal "random" TR7 style the indicators have stopped working.  ::)

Found the flasher unit was not connected (must be the wife and long legs in footwell  ;) )  So reconnected it and the hazards work, all 4 lights flash, but the left and right don't work from the stalk?

Had a quick scan through haynes  :-/ throught it maybe a common issue ?

Any help apprciated.

PS.  Managed to for the new hood, crap job, pay someone to do it is my advice although it looks great.  8)

Cable breakage inside the indicator switch is not uncommon, could also be the contacts in the switch which came off or broke.
But before you dismantle it first check with a multi meter at the Ripaults connector if there is anything wrong in the stalk.
Make sure you have the correct wiring diagram, so you're testing the correct connections

Quote:
Managed to for the new hood, crap job, pay someone to do it is my advice although it looks great

I warned you ............. :X

OK, managed to take the wheel off, take the indicator stalk off and stripped it down, cleaned up the points in there and stretched the springs to put some solid movement back in there, all back together and feels a lot better now.  Then got the manual out and tested the wires as suggested (multi meter at the Ripaults connector ) all works fine.  Fitted it back on the car.. still nothing working...

Tested hazards, they work fine as before

Any ideas?

Sounds like the turn signal flasher unit is dead. What car do you have ? On the later models there are two flasher units. One for hazard and another one for turn signal. Did you check them both?
btw should have started with testing the switch before dismantling it. Well at least it's been cleaned etc. now  ;)

Edit - that should read all TR7's have two flasher units .....  :B
The hazard unit is behind the glovebox, the turn signal unit sits on the dashboard support near the steering column

Hi,

Thanks for all the help.  I decided to clean up the unit as it wasn't operating correctly (as I found out) anyway so no problems there and yes, it's a 81 model and I have found the second flasher unit which is dead.

Thanks again  ;D

[quote by=beans link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1148135599,s=3 date=1148757128]Edit - that should read all TR7's have two flasher units .....  :B
The hazard unit is behind the glovebox, the turn signal unit sits on the dashboard support near the steering column
[/quote]

I was looking and only found the one behind the glove box  :-/ we live and learn  ;D

OK, so another interesting thing, the flasher unit for the indicators, I replaced it with an identical unit and it didn't work, the lights were on but not flashing (Square one).  So I tried the other unit from the hazards which is round and it works?  How odd.

Bloody Lucas Master of darkness..... aparently, (according to some toe-rags internet site) if the lights are on but don't flash it's a bad earth?

Will try after I get back from holiday I think..... bloooooody electrics.  ;D

[quote by=R1CBM link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1148135599,s=10 date=1149194050]Lucas Master of darkness..... aparently, (according to some toe-rags internet site)[/quote]

So glad you said Master of Darkness and not 'Prince' otherwise I may have thought you were referring to my website & forum.... Just thought I'd clear that one up before peeps who browse both forums thought you were calling me a toe-rag and started logging in to see if there were any fisticuffs kicking off!

Archived