charging electrics

beefertoo

not on a triumph but a ride on mower!!!

problem is,from cold there is no charge light working but is def still charging
after running for 10 mins or so the charge light works properly(turn engine off,ign back on light working etc)
let it go cold (few hours) no light but still charging(checked with meter)

any ideas where to look??

craig

If the mower is electric start and is starting OK then possibly a loose connection to the ignition light.
Assuming alternator rather than dynamo, the "good book" says indicator circuit has to be intact to "excite" the alternator but in practice there is usually enough residual magnetism to get things going.

Another possibility is that you are starting it in strong sunlight and only see the light when you cruise into a shaded area.

Agree with junkuser above.

If the mower is not electric start, then this behaviour would suggest that your battery is completely dead, and that is is fully discharging itself overnight so that is insufficient life left to light the charge bulb until the engine gets turning.  Once up and running, the alternator is putting a  charge into the battery, which it retains for a short while.

we tried the loose connection and couldnt find one,to the extent of pulling the dash apart and substituting a known good bulb/holder.
indeed it is an electric start,my first thought was the battery but swapped for a new one with the same results..

we're not sure on the alternator as we cant find anything resembling a 'normal' one on it, just 2 thicker wires dissapering into the bellhousing area. my thoughts are if its got a faulty magneto type of charging but i'm not clued up on these

cheers craig

Archived