Triumph Herald Battery

DannyBoy

Hi there,
Aplogies if this has been posted elsewhere i did search for this but couldnt find anything related to this.
I've got an old triump herald sitting in a garage and it needs a new battery, the engine had previously been rebuilt but hasnt been running for a good few years. I've taken the spark plugs out cleaned them and WD40'd inside the engine, the plugs and the HT leads are new. The wheels are still tuning as we've had to move the car a few times.

All i need now is a new battery but havnt had much luck so far, can anyone point me in the right direction?
Plus is there anything else i need to check before trying to start the car again after all its years sitting in a garage?

Thanks
Dan
;)

Hi Dan,
A battery should be pretty easy to find, an 038 will fit and should be on the shelf even at Halfords.
Before starting, I would put about 10cc of Redex down each bore and let it stand for 24+ hours. Turn the engine by hand a few times with the Redex in the bores. You should also put clean oil in, use a cheap 20w50 grade at first, and be prepared to change it again once you've got the engine running properly. For the next change use a better quality 20w50, Duckhams 'Q' or similar.
As well as the electrics you've already dealt with, clean the points with a nailfile - don't be tempted to use an abrasive paper, the debris will end up inside the distributor.
Before the car hits the road you ought to comprehensively overhaul the braking system, even if it all seems to work at present. Hydraulic seals may hold fluid initially, but they will have hardened through disuse, and are likely to fail shortly after they start having to work for a living!
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived