Battery Indicator

Lord Sorbington

The battery indicator on my 2000 has recently started to show closer to 13V than the normal 14V when driving along at speed.  One of those things that you'd never notice if there was no voltmeter!!

Battery voltage measures 12.8V on my multimeter with the engine and electrics off, reflected on the dash meter, and about 12V (on the dash) with ignition on (engine not running), lights etc on as recommended in the handbook.  As the car is automatic, the engine spends a fair bit of time near idle speed - the handbook says not to worry too much about voltage indications at low engine speeds however, even so, is always above 13V.

The alternator is newish, fan belt good - any ideas why the drop in indicated voltage?

Battery is old but seems to cope, maybe a gauge fault?  As I say, in a car without a voltage gauge, you'd never notice.......

• 4 weeks later...

Took me a while to check but yes, fingers around fuse 1 needed cleaned!!  Spot on again!

I also have a non original type flasher unit which doesn't fit in the holder and was floating about on its wiring.  I sort of suspect this may have been touching the live terminals on the fuse box so have relocated it out of the way.  The fact that my fuse box has no cover, and that I didn't realise it should have one didn't help! Replacement on the way......

Archived