Ignition light always on dim...

sally

Wierd problem in that the ignition light is bright with key in ignition on but non-started position.  When the engine starts the light goes to a dim.  Plenty of volts (~14) on the guage, battery is fine.  It's like the warning like circuit is faulty not the generator.

Lee

It's a simple circuit - Power into the bulb, out and earths througfh the alternator.

So you've either got a partial short to earth somewhere after the bulb, or the alternator is indeed faulty I think. My guess would be the alternator, they can fail in many splendid ways...

Had a similar problem on my TR7, turned out to be a faulty earth at the fusebox. i know the fusebox is more simple on the toledo but it might be a good place to start. it still might be a good idea to get the alternator  and battery checked  though as a partially failed batt can have a similar effect.

btw, halfords and i think lucas do a free batt check

Had a similar problem on my TR7, turned out to be a faulty earth at the fusebox. i know the fusebox is more simple on the toledo but it might be a good place to start. it still might be a good idea to get the alternator  and battery checked  though as a partially failed batt can have a similar effect.

btw, halfords and i think lucas do a free batt check

Archived