Electronic Ignition

SpencerH

Have many people switched over to Crane Electronic ignition? I have read nothing but good things so I am considering ordering. But if I were to do that, would i be better off getting a new crane coil as well? And which models go best with what? And would I have to get a new eletronic distributor? Or does an electronic distributor incorporate everything of the points-to-electronics conversion, such as the Fireball XR700?

Thanks,
Spencer

Hi Spencer

If switching over to electronic ignition, there is something to be said for sourcing components from a single manufacturer - you know they are designed to work together and if something subsequently goes pop you cannot get one manufacturer refusing to honour their warranty by blaming an incompatible part from another manufacturer.

You don't say which car you have, but if it is one with a ballast resistor or ballast wire feeding the coil, then you will have to bypass this for the electornic ignition.

I have a 68 GT6 with Crane cams XR700 and lucas coil and I haven't had any issues.  I can't compare to points, it was with electronic ignition when I got it.  Check the install instrux below, they differ depending on distributor.  

www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/90000700.pdf

I don't remember exactly what spec I was checking, but I bought a spare Bosch 00012 and I spoke with a Bosch tech and it appeared to meet the needed specs.  My impression was that you can use a normal coil, but Crane or whoever probably just wants you to get one of theirs.  Someone more knowledgeable than I, please correct me if I'm wrong!

Hello Spencer.

I use a Lucas Gold DLB105 sports coil with my electronic ignition (simonbbc); on the Mk2 Vitesse.

It's a perfect match.

FYI have a look at Ebay 180737674862 as Accu-spark are doing these coils at £16.61 + FREE P&P !!!!!!!!

IMHO they are the best coils you can get.

Regards.

Richard.

Archived