V8 carb/ignition prob

v8dean

CAR  a V8 powered TR7, a rover P5 engine with twin SU+twin air filters. standard points and dizzy.
known probs: Soiling of float chambers with rust gunk from tank
points getting through them quickly
otherwise nothing special :timing chain must be getting old now , an new looking water pump, a working kenlowe fan.

HISTORY it ran good for a year( +-2000 miles)(its last tune up+ bits)but i  had the impression that the performance was dropping. there was also a VERY high Hydrocarbon count on tickover which dropped a little on mid revs. late august i gave it a jolly good thrashing while in company, and from then on it started blowing blue-ish oily smoke out of the breather pipes( more than before). Starting from cold warming up and then getting very hot(on temp gauge), before the temp comes down a bit( but more than before), expansion tank has split and is now leaking a little, tickover isn't smooth, pick up isn't smooth(not women! revs.),misfires a lot more than before on overrun,  exhuast fumes are blackish now  not blue or white. and now i have petrol coming out of the one carb overflowpipe and the other carb seems to be leaking around the butterfly seating.

SUSPECT a poss head gasket break, but prev history makes me think fuel prob. Too high pressure from elec fuel pump????or carb prob. I still have to do a compression test, but i'm holding back since last near disaster, (almost stripped thread!)

PARTS no spares car or spares at hand. no money doh.......

Dean.

Dean, as you know, I am no mechanic so all I can offer is tea (virtual) and sympathy.

As you quite rightly said to me in the "famous, non starting TR7" thread, keep your spirits up.

My TR7 has had me going crazy but also putting me on real highs.

The sound of it starting  on a forecourt in Austria in the early hours of Monday morning was just wondeful and then on my drive at home this week was pretty good too!  ;)

oh i'm not dispondent. I'm in a better situation than most, with access to equipment, a heated workshop to work in, a couple of extra pairs of hands just when you need them. And not forgeting the technical backup of experienced Triumph enthusiasts.
What more could i want?
Well apart from an attractive brunette to tell me i'm fantastic and mop the sweat from my forehead, of course. 
:K)

yes i have but i'm told by the previous owner (from Louth) that the fine stuff still gets through.
Really i ought to pull my finger out and get it sorted but as long as its dry and i can leave a pair of black stripes up the road, i'm happy.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote by=v8dean link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,v=display,m=1066071037,s=0 date=1066071037]CAR  a V8 powered TR7, a rover P5 engine with twin SU+twin air filters. standard points and dizzy.
known probs: Soiling of float chambers with rust gunk from tank
points getting through them quickly
otherwise nothing special :timing chain must be getting old now , an new looking water pump, a working kenlowe fan.

HISTORY it ran good for a year( +-2000 miles)(its last tune up+ bits)but i  had the impression that the performance was dropping. there was also a VERY high Hydrocarbon count on tickover which dropped a little on mid revs. late august i gave it a jolly good thrashing while in company, and from then on it started blowing blue-ish oily smoke out of the breather pipes( more than before). Starting from cold warming up and then getting very hot(on temp gauge), before the temp comes down a bit( but more than before), expansion tank has split and is now leaking a little, tickover isn't smooth, pick up isn't smooth(not women! revs.),misfires a lot more than before on overrun,  exhuast fumes are blackish now  not blue or white. and now i have petrol coming out of the one carb overflowpipe and the other carb seems to be leaking around the butterfly seating.

SUSPECT a poss head gasket break, but prev history makes me think fuel prob. Too high pressure from elec fuel pump????or carb prob. I still have to do a compression test, but i'm holding back since last near disaster, (almost stripped thread!)

PARTS no spares car or spares at hand. no money doh.......

Dean.[/quote]
Right
The V8 from a P5B and SD1 differs in two ways that I know-carbs and dizzy
Check you have the P5B carbs or SD1 carbs-SD1 carbs intergral float chambers,screw to adjust mixture,P5B seperate float chamber,either way if a float is leaking fuel fix it before you test the "fire" part of your insurance!-more than likley snot in the needle valve ,clean or replace the valve ,replace float gaskets at the same time,if your fuel has been un-filtered or contaminated with cack strip and clean the floats and fit two in line filters!
If using an electric pump-fit an inline pressure regulator (the p5b used a mechanical pump)
I remeber reading in the Rover club mag,that the engine breather filters should be kept in tip top condition they are Grey gauze filled (i think) things,look like a fat flying saucer with 1/4 pipe sticking out for the breather pipes to push onto, from what I remember the P5B had one at the rear of the engine that (again I think) came from the crank that was piped into the air box,then a further two that came off the rocker  covers
Make sure these breathers are clean
Black smoke=too much fuel this will explain high hydrocarbons,check mixture- again fix all fuel leaks first,check jet/needle sizes- again ned to find out if you have later SD1 carbs fitted
Replace the plugs if sooted up-have you checked the colour of them?
Dizzy-if eating points check potentail across points,Check coil resitance (1.5 ohms or 3 ohms normally dependant on weather shunt/ballast resistor fitted,P5B had ballast fitted,are you Dynamo,or alternator ? P5B was dynamo on some modles,again check conversion has been wired correctly) this shouldnt shag the points but worth checking your charging circiut for driving through the night on the 10cr ...hmmm Mr raider?
To fix the points being eaten i would fit the SD1 dizzy,which uses contactless points,oh yeah replace the condenser as a matter of course

The rough running is I reckon down to the mixture/fuel leak fix that before doing anything else.
Then work through standard stuff-timing,plugs points etc-dont forget the PB5 ran on old 5 star petrol-maybee retard the timing a tad if it pinks
Fix the split expansion tank straight away! my P5B ran hot stationary-ie heavy traffic etc
the P5B didnt have an expansion tank not that that matters really!
Once you have a sealled cooling system, no fuel leaks, correct mixture,timing,coil,points gap (dwell angle) decent clean plugs (have you the correct temerature running plugs in?)
Correct clean fuel delivery and it still runs like a dog start looking at the more serious stuff
IE compression test - is it using exsesive water? oil?
Let me know how you get on!
:) :) :)
Oh yeah check the choke isnt stuck partly on ,on one of the carbs, or both?do a bank of plugs look sootier than the others,the choke cable assembly on the P5B used a single cable that used a splitter block with two other shorter cables coming off prone to sticking!
The jet can stick,does the mixture adjustment nut rotate freely?(old style carbs seperate float chamber )
The mixture screw is a posi drive on the side of the carb body on the intergal types
but main thing fix the bloody leaks first !
I am no expert for expert advice ask " deeb"( he is on the forum,) ask nicely!

Quote:
Replace the plugs if sooted up-have you checked the colour of them?

worth checking your charging circiut for driving through the night on the 10cr ...hmmm Mr raider?

Colour of plugs - an expert on this AJP?  Is it true that we could follow the route of the 10CR with discarded NGKs? :D

Charging circuit - I don't think a dislodged heat shield shorting the starter motor quite covers this does it?  ??) Still, unlikely to be a problem on a TR7 V8 I presume.

thanks for the reply andy.
this is what i was thinking of doing too. But as i'm unfamiliar with the v8 i needed a 2nd opinion.
i'll take a good look at the carbs and compare them with my haynes rover manual.

just as soon as i break both legs and be forced to take the car off the road i'll be checking this all out. Bloody sunny autumn days, bah.
have you seen a gas conversion on a V8?
Dean.
i'd taken a look at the dash pots anyway as standard course.

i'm ok on the dash pot issue Andy.
i've had mini's.........David Vizard......etc.....

not quiet the same size as the v8. i'd give the 1275 block a good cuddle as i took it out on my own........blah....blah.......

on a serious point i could never complain about those Denovo's. crackin'!

• 2 months later...

I've had request for tech info, can someone help me answer?

are there any special tricks for a head removal in a standard TR7, or is it pretty straight forward and to be caried out 'in situ'?

as i've never done this job, i thought i'd ask around

Dean.

[quote by=v8dean link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,v=display,m=1066071037,s=19 date=1076616773]I've had request for tech info, can someone help me answer?

are there any special tricks for a head removal in a standard TR7, or is it pretty straight forward and to be caried out 'in situ'?

as i've never done this job, i thought i'd ask around

Dean.[/quote]

Any answers?

Archived