Replacing indicator switch

Greased lightning

Hi guys,
The indicators on my '76 1500 Spit stopped working altogether recently. As the hazard flashers still work OK, I assumed the fault was with the flasher unit or the switch. The former being cheaper/easier to fit I replaced the flasher unit for an electronic one (and earthed it) but still no joy. I have now ordered a replacement indicator switch but can anyone please tell me how you remove the old one? There is a metal channel running under the steering column that the wires seem to pass  through but I cannot see how to remove it to get at the wiring. Any suggestions?
Many thanks

I'll let you know Graham!
The later 1500s have a totally different column & do not seem to have the channel underneath for the wiring to pass through.
I'm guessing that I will need to undo the upper clamp from the column but I still can't see how the channel is attached unless it is just held in place by the clamp?

Peter 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got 'em working. Turned out to be 3 faults: dud flasher unit, 2 out of 3 wires to the switch broken off & loose bullet connector on live feed to switch! BTW, the channel under the steering column pulls off after you have removed the upper clamp. Bit of a squeeze getting the new wires through the narrow gap at the top of the column: used a bit of insulating tape to bind the 3 wires together & managed o get them through with a bot of judicious wiggling.

Archived