nick69

Can anyone tell me the Amperage of the Heater Switch for my MK1 Vitesse??

Ive replaced it with a 20A switch and need to know if  that is whats blowing the fuse??

A brown wire came off the ignition switch (1 of 2 brown wires) and I cant figure out where it goes. :(

Nick

The switch doesn't draw the current that is blowing the fuse, it just sort of transfers it to the bit that does, in this case the blower fan. If the fuse is the correct rating, the fan must be drawing too much current, or there is a short from the wire feeding it to earth.

If you have a multimeter, set it to resistance (ohms). Leave the ignition off and switch the heater switch on. Connect one lead of the mutimeter to the non feed side of fuse (either side if you know the fuse is OK) and the other to the negative terminal of the battery. If the meter shows zero, there is a short somewhere. Flick the heater switch to off, if it's still says zero (unlikely), the short is between the switch and the fuse. If it doesn't, the short is between the switch and the fan, or in the fan itself.

One brown wire from the ignition switch comes from the fuse box. If it's disconnected, things like the horn and indicators won't work. The other probably goes to the overdrive relay. if you have overdrive.

Hope this helps

PS. I see you have an A30, I used to have an A35 before the Vit, lovely little cars.

Glen.

Right so the switch is fine. I replaced the dash with a new one and now one of the fuses blows. Problem is the PO had a new loom put in but they didnt cap off the un-needed wires. Plus the used a 4 circuit fuse panel (all 4 used with 35A fuses) as opposed to the 2 circuit panel it should have. The heater motor worked well before I removed the dash but the wiper motor was getting very sluggish to the point of not working again. I already stripped the wiper motor but its going again.

Surely the wiper motor wouldnt blow a fuse unless it was on would it??

If not then im going to have to get behind the dash and hunt for a loose cable causing the short!!! Fun. NOT!!! LOL

The little A30 is a great little car, I installed an Alternator and converted it to NEG earth the other week and am just dealing with some way of holding the battery in place now. Its going to the mechanics on wednesday to have its brakes sorted. Its got the original visor over the windscreen too, people offer me more for the visor than what I paid for the car!! LOL

[quote by=Freebird link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1168176562,s=3 date=1168187409]Nick

Good luck with your wiring mate. I don't envy you!

I expect you know this, but here is a good forum for A30 problems.

https://international.flying-a.net/?opt=4&bid=2

Cheers

Glen.[/quote]

Glen, for the record it was the wiper motor. Luckily Graham (smallfry) sent me a spare on he had which solved the problem right away. ;D

I havnt been able to drive it for 3 weeks and all thats left now is to get a new water pipe from pump to heater and we are away!!

Nick

Archived