washer wiper switch

Just done it to mine. I took a live from the switched side of the ignition and wired that to a switch I'd put into the aluminium part of the "pusher" pump. A simple push-to-make switch which makes a connection when you hold the button down and breaks the connection when you release. I even kept the original rubber diaphragm in the unit as it acted as a spring, pushing the original push switch back to where it should be. I earthed it where the wiper motor is earthed.

For the pump I went to a local scrap yard. I found the only suitable one was out of an Astra. It has two outlets on the pump. I assume that one acts as a non-return valve so that when you reverse the switch it shuts off one outlet and allows water out of the other, sending water to the rear washer. :)

I had to put a non-return-valve after the pump to make sure it always had water in the pump itself as it won't prime. Originally the pump sits in the water at the bottom of the screen wash tank. Currently my pump is sitting on the bulkhead but I plan on picking up a water bottle from Stoneleigh and sticking the end in the bottle. I didn't want to ruin the bottle I have right now.

£2.something - Halfords non-return-valve
£2.something - 6m of airline pipe from pets at home
£2 - washer pump
£1.29 - switch from maplins

Nice and cheap. :) A new washer pump is between £11-17 from halfords and online. The old switch functions as normal but also feels just like it used to as well.

Archived